1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Whats the weather like..?

Discussion in 'Campfire Chat - General Discussions' started by Rebel from Finland, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Rebel from Finland

Rebel from Finland First Sergeant

We got the first real snow of this winter here in Helsinki this morning, at least a month later than usually. I really hope it stays on the ground for the rest of winter, it makes landscape so pretty and gives us that much needed light during our long and dark winter months. So, whats the weather like there..?
    jessgettysburg1863 and M E Wolf like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Littlestown

Littlestown 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host

Happy 2012 Reb! Here in my part of N.E. Ohio, we're receiving our first snow accumulation of the season. We are way behind schedule and that suits me just fine. So far, I only have less than an inch. No shoveling yet!
  4. BillO

BillO 1st Lieutenant

Here in central Virginia it's a little cooler than yesterday but so far, we've had a very mild winter. Usually our bad days are February and early March.
  5. Glorybound

Glorybound Major Retired Moderator

We got our first dusting this morning in the Louisville area, then it cleared up. Current temp is 28, with a wind chill of 15. Time coming up on 12:12 p eastern..at the mark, ready.....mark!
  6. Littlestown

barometric pressure status?
  7. Glorybound

Thanks for askin'..:smile: It is currently ....
    Current Climate for Mon Jan 2 2012
    Barometer: 30.22 inHg.steady Wind: W21.9MPH G TO32.2(19MPH G TO28KT)
    Humidity: 51% Wind Chill: 14°F / 22°C
    Dew Point: 12°F / -11° rising Visibility: 9.00mi.
    Heat Index: 28°F Sunrise: 7:59 AM EST
    Moon Phase: Waxing Gibbous Moon Sunset: 5:33 PM EST
  8. DanB

DanB Corporal

It was in the 70s this weekend here in St. Augustine. I got a sunburn while at work. Its in the upper 50s right now.
  9. mulejack

mulejack Sergeant

It's windy, but in the low seventies here in Bullhead City Arizona.

Mulejack
  10. LT.J.H.McDaniel

LT.J.H.McDaniel Sergeant Major

Its about 70 here in Tennessee.... Good moonshine making weather...
  11. Blessmag

Blessmag 1st Lieutenant

We now have some white and some ice. Doesn't stop us from grilling!
  12. Davidkmendel

Davidkmendel Private

Warm 27Celsius in Tasmania. Heading to beach later. Sunset about 9pm. Maybe some fishing followed by BBQ.
  13. Davidkmendel

Davidkmendel Private

Thats where I am heading 15 minutes from home. Seven Mile Beach.jpg
  14. hoosier

hoosier 2nd Lieutenant Forum Host

In the Gettyburg area, the temperature is 38 degrees Fahrenheit, which I guess is about 3 or 4 degrees Celsius. The skies are partly cloudy and there is no precipitation.

We had a snowstorm of about 5.5 inches in late October, which was a very bad time for it, because the leaves had not yet fallen off the trees and a lot of tree branches snapped under the weight of the snow, causing power outages. That snow has long since melted and we have had no more than a dusting of snow since.
  15. Union_Buff

Union_Buff 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

It's still hot and sunny over here, but it will start getting colder as we get into winter in New Zealand.
  16. KeyserSoze

KeyserSoze 1st Lieutenant

Mild winter for Kansas City. Temps mainly in the 40's and 50's. No snow. Lows in the 30's. No change expected until the last half of January. And since winter here is mainly January then it won't be a bad season.
  17. dvrmte

dvrmte Major

It's been a very mild winter. Tonight is an extreme change back to a more normal low of 23F. Tomorrow night the low is supposed to be 21. It's usually a degree or two colder, out here in the outlying areas.

I have/had a green patch like you've never seen before, I should've took a picture before tonight. I've got turnips that average softball size, with some much larger. The mixed varieties of greens had huge leaves but they remained mild and tender even when they were too big to fit in my bag. I'd just break the leaves off and stack them up. I cut all my collards this afternoon also. We'll freeze most of them tomorrow.

I doubt there will be many survivors after tonight. The plants were too lush and the temperature drop too extreme. I have a blueberry bush with bloom buds swelling as well as some of my plum trees. It might kill the buds so no fruit next year.:frown:

I have my second fire of the season in my woodstove now. I see now, that I cut way too much firewood.
  18. Littlestown

Excellent! Oh, and who doesn't love a waxing gibbous moon?
    [​IMG] waxing_gibbous_featured.jpg
  19. pamc153PA

pamc153PA 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

I believe the weatherman said tonight that tomorrow and tomorrow nite the "feels like" temperatures in the Reading/Allentown area will be between 10 and 1 degrees. This, considering it was about 50 degrees yesterday.

We had some snow showers this afternoon, some very wayward lake effect snow. We were reading quietly in my 9th period class, and one of the boys turned around and whispered to me, "It's snowing!" and pointed at the windows. Then he asked, half-hopefully, "Do we get to go home early?" Considering it was no more than an hour until dismissal, and the snow wasn't even sticking, I told him I doubted it.
  20. Glorybound

[​IMG]

Thanks for the photo of the waxing gibbous...I musta slept through that class in meteorogical school..:smile:
  21. Zosofancmr

Zosofancmr Private

Rain, Rain, and more Rain over here near Seattle. Nothing out of the ordinary.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)