What To See/Do Along Grant's Approach March to Vicksburg

JeffBrooks

2nd Lieutenant
I'll be spending some time at Vicksburg in the next couple of weeks. Obviously, I'll be going over every inch of the National Military Park in Vicksburg itself and visiting the USS Cairo. But what is there to see and do along the path of Grant's approach March to Vicksburg? Grand Gulf, Port Gibson, Raymond, Jackson, Champion's Hill, ect. I know Champion's Hill is well-preserved but understand that most of it is still privately owned and hard to visit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I took a drive up to Lake Providence once...driving was pretty much it.

There are some pretty hairy old roads if you want to follow the approach to Port Gibson.

Grand Gulf Military Park & the Windsor ruins listed in my links are outside of Port Gibson.

They are way off the beaten path, but worth a visit if you're in the area.

Fort Wade is within the Grand Gulf Park, Fort Coburn about a mile west . . . on the river.
All of these sites are in remote locations . . .virtually untouched since the War.

Last edited:
The Raymond battlefield is small bit we'll preserved. Not much to see at champion hill. Mimimal signage. No trails. There is a house almost restored on the battlefield, but I can't remember the name. Mississippi is missing a tourism opportunity.

There is plenty to experience on the Vicksburg battlefield and in town. The old courthouse museum is kind of cool.

Thank you, Jeff, for starting this thread, and Eric and 7th Miss. for providing links! It's a dream of mine to retrace Grant's footsteps in the Vicksburg campaign, and these materials should prove helpful!
The link to the Grand Gulf web site is probably outdated, but from what I've heard the earthworks were not affected by the Mississippi River flood of 2011. The little museum was evacuated prior to the latest flood, so I think all of the artifacts were saved.

Grand Gulf is a must see if you plan on retracing Grant's movements during the Vicksburg campaign.

You may enjoy this video:

http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/29576595/walts-look-around

I'll be spending some time at Vicksburg in the next couple of weeks. Obviously, I'll be going over every inch of the National Military Park in Vicksburg itself and visiting the USS Cairo. But what is there to see and do along the path of Grant's approach March to Vicksburg? Grand Gulf, Port Gibson, Raymond, Jackson, Champion's Hill, ect. I know Champion's Hill is well-preserved but understand that most of it is still privately owned and hard to visit.

I am planning a weekend road trip to Vicksburg in October or early November.

06-17-2013 09;57;32PM.jpg
You can see if you can find the Salient Work in the brush on the Hall's Ferry road. It is a mystery to me how it was marked with markers, plaque, and cannon, yet today we are told it "is not extant." Here is a turn of the century photo of it.

I'm sorry, I'm not all that familiar with the Vicksburg area, what exactly is that a picture of?

Yes, it is private, but I've since been told that it's possible to see if you find the right guide.

I'm sorry, I'm not all that familiar with the Vicksburg area, what exactly is that a picture of?
It is a picture of Confederate Salient work, and Union approach trenches and parallel, along Halls Ferry road, taken about 1906 or so. It is outside the Nat. Military Park. You can see modern pictures on civil War Album, go to Sites in Vicksburg, then go to Hall's Ferry road section.

Well, it's not Grant but rather Sherman. You can travel north a few minutes to Chickasaw Bayou. There isn't much to see except an aging historical marker, but the land is remarkably similar as it was in 1862. The Staff Ride Handbook will assist you, but you can take HWY 61 (Believe it's called Washington St. as well) North along the base of the bluffs. You can turn off North and travel the same road DeCourcey's Brigade advanced toward the bluffs.

Below is a Google Earth view. Washington St (Hwy 61) goes along the Confederate lines. When you turn north onto Chickasaw Road, you travel the same path north as the Union troops advanced and it leads up to the disembarkation location. Although the second map is rotated, you can still see similar physical features. Perhaps worth a look and probably only take 30 minutes to drive the pathway.

chickasaw.PNG

Battle_of_Chickasaw_Bayou_-_History_of_Iowa.jpg

You can drive through the Port Gibson Battlefield - there's a well maintained gravel road that connects the ruins of Windsor Plantation with Port Gibson. Last time I went thru there (1990?), it wasnt well marked but if you can get your hands on the Blue and Gray magazine issue dedicated to the battle it will get you where you want to go. Beautiful, jungle-like woods and a deeply sunken road - very cool stuff and just off the Natchez Trace Parkway.

The road to Windsor is paved all the way through. If you stay on it you'll end up at Alcorn State. General Van Dorn is buried Evergreen Cemetery in Port Gibson. Download the Vicksburg app from the CWPT. It lays out the routs of everything you need to see with driving directions and GPS. Plenty of pictures on the app too (some of them are mine!)

See the Bridge over Big Black River too.

Look up Sid Champion, he gives tours of Champion Hill and will take you all over his families property.

You can drive through the Port Gibson Battlefield - there's a well maintained gravel road that connects the ruins of Windsor Plantation with Port Gibson. Last time I went thru there (1990?), it wasnt well marked but if you can get your hands on the Blue and Gray magazine issue dedicated to the battle it will get you where you want to go. Beautiful, jungle-like woods and a deeply sunken road - very cool stuff and just off the Natchez Trace Parkway.
Windsor Ruins? What's that ?? :D

BTW....the the well maintained gravel road is the one I referred to above as "hairy". Now that I think of it, I was doing fine until I left the well maintained gravel road.

Windsor Ruins? What's that ?? :D

BTW....the the well maintained gravel road is the one I referred to above as "hairy". Now that I think of it, I was doing fine until I left the well maintained gravel road.
Ha ha ha! I almost replied until I did a double take on your avatar. LOL.

Back