What is my great-uncle carring?

hrobalabama

First Sergeant
This is a photo of my grandmother's oldest brother. He is 16 years old. He was a student at the University of Alabama in 1863. The entire class thought the war might be over before they could get into the fight. They became Co F 7th Alabama Cavalry which became part of Ruckers Brigade of N. B. Forest command. He was captured the second day of the Battle of Nashville in 1864 and died as a POW at Camp Chase, Ohio, February 14, 1865.
This is the only photo I have of him and I have tried to ID the weapons. It looks to me like a 3rd model Colt Dragoon and a "D handle" Bowie knife. What do you think?
Thanks for your input.
img076.jpg

That's either a 1849 Colt Pocket or a 1851 Navy. Upon further review of this photograph,
he may have two pistols in his belt. Thanks for sharing this picture.

They appear to be Colt 1851 Navies. I agree that they could very well be photographer's props, but he was a cavalryman so its possible they are indeed his. Nice photo... I like his style!

These could have been props, maybe even for the entire company. Thanks to Andy Hall and his outlines I am fairly certain that one is a 3rd model Colt Dragoon and the other a 1849 Colt Pocket revolver. Below is his saber that was brought back home by his servant (slave) after his capture at the Battle of Nashville. The saber is an artillery not a cavalry. He was just 17 when he died. He was the Grand-Nephew of William Weatherford (Red Eagle) of Creek Indian fame.
img011.jpg

Back