What if Lee decided not to fight?

My take is that it probably wouldn't have made much immediate difference. Lee had the advantage of being matched against McClellan and Pope; then Burnside and Hooker. To this point, he had been lucky.

His genius was in stretching the war for almost two full years in the face of overwhelming force.

Both sides had a steep learning curve to overcome before becoming an effective fighting force: logistics, supply, funding, sifting through officers, and building an army was not something anyone had done before. Winfield Scott (bless his ponderous bulk) had some experience, but it would compare to not much more than a division command in the one coming up.

Bottom line, if it hadn't ended with Lee, it would have ended with someone else.

ole

By the way, welcome to civilwartalk. Pull up a chair.

Dear 3rd PA Artillery,

Welcome to the forums --

In my opinion, General Lee's ability to form, train and assemble the best of Virginia's militia into a well equipped and organized unit; would have been absent and politically appointed generals would have had duels and killed each other off before they created more 'grief.' I have to agree with Ole; that some other General would have had to be confronted and be subdued.

However, the surrendering aspects might not have been as 'gracious' or compassionate dealing with anybody, with a few exceptions--as with General Lee. Lee was respected long before the rebellion and well after.

Just some thoughts.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,
M. E. Wolf

Question?

A note:

First, I believe the war would have been all but over within two years from the the firing on Fort. Sumter.

The total body count would have been much less as well form the war.

The questions to be answered would be the political ones a rising from an early Confederate defeat....

Not only questions arising from an earlier Confederate defeat but also:

What if the Confederacy did not do as well over-all as a result of Lee not being in command and therefore Lincoln does not feel the need to issue the emancipation proclaimation?

What if, without Lee, there is no one with the reputation and moral courage at the "end" to say, "We shall lay down our arms" and instead it becomes a multi-year guerilla war?

What if, without Lee, there is no one with the reputation and moral courage at the "end" to say, "We shall lay down our arms" and instead it becomes a multi-year guerilla war?
Bing!
Without a Union army on an extended walking tour of the south, the "lost cause" types will claim they weren't defeated but were betrayed. Thus the guerrilla afterwards.

Note...

Not only questions arising from an earlier Confederate defeat but also:

What if the Confederacy did not do as well over-all as a result of Lee not being in command and therefore Lincoln does not feel the need to issue the emancipation proclaimation?

If the war ended two years sooner then it did, the issue of slavery would still need to be tackle by the politicians of the day. Lincoln would not have not issue the Emancipation Proclamation for there would have been no need to up the anti and change the purpose of the war.

Would there have been a 14th and 15th amendments?

Slavery would have still been a bane to our nation...

Good points all. But I don't get the impression that Lee or anybody else could just sit on the sidelines. From 1860-1865, one was compelled to choose sides.

Note!

Here is the biggest change if the Union had won within two years.

Lincoln would have lived to began the reintegration of the South back into the union but he could have lost the 1864 election....

The names of Grant and Sherman would be footnotes in history instead of fixtures..

McClellan would most likely have become President by 1872....or before.

Dear List Members;

This 'what if' really reminds me of the old Jimmy Stewart movie - "Its a Wonderful Life."

When Clarence (guardian angel) shows without him how much different things would be. With one person, there can be made differences; to which we do not know until it happens.

General Robert E. Lee could have easily died from heart disease which he had, a battle wound or even an accidental fall. He was grooming both Jackson and Longstreet for the command if he was unable.

Longstreet could have been killed, not seriously wounded as he was; that could have changed the war some however; the big change was a series of high level and experienced generals; loosing a fist full at Gettysburg to being killed and or wounded and, their replacements.

I do believe if Lee decided not to fight; he may have been a consultant. However, he loves the army and isn't great about being domesticly 'tamed' and staying home with his wife and children. So, I am sure he would have worn the uniform.

Just some thoughts.

Respectfully submitted for consideration,
M. E. Wolf

Johnston....

You could also phrase this what if in terms of Johnston's wounding? What if Johnston doesn't get wounded? (Lee would still be in uniform of course)....Ostensibly Johnston remains in command and will find a way to retreat out of Richmond.

For Lee to have his impact he needs to be the commander of the Army of Northern Virginia, at the right moment, at the right time, to have the impact that he did.

"You could also phrase this what if in terms of Johnston's wounding?"

Or for that matter, what if A. S. Johnston is not killed early in the war?

I agree with Diddyriddick. Had A.S. Johnston not been killed at Shiloh things would have been very different. First he would have won Shiloh. He was killed on the morning of the first day. His army won the first day very well, but exhausted themselves. Grants reinforcements arrived the next day. If JOhnston had won Shiloh it could have secured TN and the Mississippi river. Also he would have been in charge instead of Braxton Bragg. Johnston may have gotten KY. Also, he could have been given command what would become The Army of Northern Virgina. If that had happened we may only read about Robert E. Lee in footnotes.

:lee:

Back