What happened to Jabez R Landrum? Battle of the Crater?

Allie

Captain
Help needed - I have a cousin, Jabez R Landrum, with a confusing life history.

He has a record with the 38th Georgia infantry - he enlisted in May 1862, served exactly 8 days, and was dismissed, I suspect for health issues. Two of his brothers were dismissed for epilepsy and it's possible he had it too.

But then he apparently died 30 July 1864, description "Civil War." I'm finding no evidence of this and I can't tell where the other trees got it which makes me think it's from some family source. It may not be true, but it's such a specific date combined with such a rare name that I am at least willing to accept it as working hypothesis. I'm finding no grave or death records.

The date matches the Battle of the Crater. Several other family members served a short period of time with various Georgia regiments, then reenlisted in the Georgia State guards. There is a J R Landrum in the 9th Georgia cavalry, which became the 9th Georgia state guards, which could be him. The record stops before his date of death. I can't see any evidence that the 9th Georgia was at the Crater - were they doing anything else in particular on or shortly before that date? Is the J R Landrum in the 9th Georgia even him? What happened to this guy?

Help appreciated!

Edit: I figured out where the death date is coming from - wife Mary A Landrum's obit states she was left a widow by her husband's death on the field of battle July 30, 1864. That the paper mentioned the specific date makes me think it was a well-known date and not just the day he finally died after being wounded earlier.

Last edited:
Back