What happened to book of month?

Good question. Seems it went away before Kindle, etc. and Amazon killed the bookstores, making one think there was just a general decline in readers. Mom was a subscriber for years and had a wall of books in the den, classics and what was then contemporary.

Robert I was asking about book of month on this forum. There is one for August but not since.

As to the old book of month club, my parents belonged. I have many of the books they bought. I guess it has been years and years ago since they got the last one through that club. My Dad also belonged to the Record club of the month. He had many albums. My Mom finally gave them all away. I wish now I had some of them. Of course you had to play them on an old style record player. I think they were 33s. Many of you may know for sure.

Robert I was asking about book of month on this forum. There is one for August but not since.

As to the old book of month club, my parents belonged. I have many of the books they bought. I guess it has been years and years ago since they got the last one through that club. My Dad also belonged to the Record club of the month. He had many albums. My Mom finally gave them all away. I wish now I had some of them. Of course you had to play them on an old style record player. I think they were 33s. Many of you may know for sure.
OK, I see.

We also belonged to the Record Club after getting married. All I remember about that was how difficult it was to get out of when you wanted. Maybe that's why they eventually went away.

We usually picked up our reading at yard sales or junk stores (not antique stores - true junk stores!) but later when the allotments came clear and there was some money around, Dad and Mom joined a couple book and record clubs. It didn't last long - we were so far back in the sticks the books and records couldn't be delivered and it was a pain in the toosh to have to go fifty miles just to pick them up! (Now, Old Dave the Indian postal carrier got everybody's mail to them if he had to ski down their drives! Which he did...)

As to the old book of month club, my parents belonged I have many of the books they bought. I guess it has been years and years ago since they got the last one through that club. My Dad also belonged to the Record club of the month. He had many albums. My Mom finally gave them all away. I wish now I had some of them. Of course you had to play them on an old style record player. I think they were 33s. Many of you may know for sure.

Donna, not surprisingly, it's the same with me. My parents belonged to a book club and I did also until some years ago. But then my interests changed and I found less and less to buy there. Then I joined a used book exchange forum, but indeed now ebooks have changed everything, although I have several meters of still unread books at home, which I read now one by one. And still I like to buy printed versions of the books which really mean something to me.
Same with records, we have lots and lots of vinyl records in the attic but no player. Even some 78s from the Fifties, the music my parents danced to.

And thank you for this thread I was missing the "book of the month" here also.

Back