1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

What do ya'll think ?

Discussion in 'Hauntings of the Great Rebellion' started by John Winn, Mar 26, 2014.

1. John Winn

John Winn Captain

I'm new here and have been spending time visiting all the forums to see what I can learn from older posts and have just arrived here to have a look around. While I do not really believe in ghosts per se (I'm pretty much a 'when you're dead you're gone' type) I thought I'd relay something that happened to me as a small child and see what you think. The spoiler is that I didn't see any ghosts so all who want a good sighting story are spared.

I've only told this story to my wife who once told me she thought I was in the war in a previous life (she's not really a recycler either but is more open to the possibility).

So ... when I was five my parents and I went on a trip north (we lived in Atlanta, GA). On our way they stopped for a day to see Gettysburg. Now, living in the South I had of course seen my share of Confederate imagery but hadn't started school (my birthday is in the summer) and knew nothing of the Civil War really and had never heard of Gettysburg (or Pennsylvania for that matter). My parents weren't interested in the war and had never mentioned it before we went on the trip.

I don't remember all we did on the day (only one afternoon, really, I think; that's how interested they were !) but we took a drive around and got out at what I would years later discover was in the Devil's Den area and took a little walk. At one point we were just standing there looking around when all of a sudden I got really afraid and had the distinct feeling that just out of my peripheral vision I could see movement. I kept turning my head to try to catch what it was and I remember feeling that my parents were no longer there with me and that the landscape was somehow different. It was a totally new and more-than-disconcerting experience and I started to panic. I'm not sure what I did but my mother must have noticed something because she said "are you OK ?" and it was over just like that. I had no reference to explain what I had just felt and so didn't say anything. Given that my parents were, let's just say, not receptive to such notions I never did mention it. The memory of that, though, has stuck with me all these years and is almost just as clear as when it happened (that's how I recognized Devil's Den in photos I saw many years later).

Also after that I was always fascinated by photos of the Civil War and would just stare at them until pulled away. As I got older that developed into my interest in the CW era and I've been reading about it most of my life now.

Given that I was too young, really, to have any image or understanding of what war was or what a battle entailed - and had never heard of Gettysburg - it doesn't seem to me that what I experienced could have been an active childhood fantasy based on something I'd seen or been told. I've wondered about it all my life.

What do ya'll make of my experience ?

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Bonny Blue Flag

Bonny Blue Flag 1st Lieutenant

Children are naturally more open and easily "tune in" to what some have called "memories and emotions" that linger in certain environments where great danger/sadness happened or where great happiness and joy were experienced. Adults have their minds cluttered with responsibilities, years of experiences, etc so therefore, they rarely are able to "tune in".

--BBF

4. 7th Mississippi Infantry

7th Mississippi Infantry Major Forum Host

Funny you should bring up Devil's Den.
    Yesterday I watched an old Haunted History episode on the History Channel. ( I was surprised that an actual history show was on). Anyway. . . the episode was "Ghosts of Gettysburg" and according to the historians
    the Devils Den was considered "haunted" by the native tribes long before European settlement.

5. John Winn

John Winn Captain

Thank you very much Frederick for your detailed response. I do appreciate it.

However, I'm not sure what you are saying; EMF or active imagination ? Just curious what your leaning is.

6. BlueGrayBlood

BlueGrayBlood Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

What ever it was . .
    Your memory of it has stayed with you.
    Hopefully, the journey to discovery and knowledge of the history absorbed has been a pleasurable trip without any dark clouds, without nightmares, only sunshine!

7. John Winn

John Winn Captain

OK, so might of been, might not have been. Oh well ... still a mystery.

8. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

John Winn, that's a fascinating experience and I think most of us here are people who wouldn't say that they generally believe in paranormal events - BUT: there seems to be something strange in the Gettysburg area. The native Americans knew about it and so many of us have experienced strange things there. I totally believe you and I like to think that the veil between the worlds is a little bit thinner there. Or, as Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain said: “In great deeds, something abides. On great fields, something stays. Forms change and pass; bodies disappear; but spirits linger, to consecrate ground for the vision-place of souls… generations that know us not and that we know not of, heart-drawn to see where and by whom great things were suffered and done for them, shall come to this deathless field, to ponder and dream; and lo! the shadow of a mighty presence shall wrap them in its bosom, and the power of the vision pass into their souls.”
    He might have felt it also.

9. Littlestown

Littlestown Captain Trivia Game Winner

Fascinating recollection John. I am curious to as whether you have ever returned to Devil's Den? If not, I definitely think you should. Have you visited other battlefields? Do you experience any 'pull' to return to Gettysburg? Personally, as a child, I had many similar profound experiences at Gettysburg, and have seemed drawn there my whole life.

FarawayFriend likes this.
  10. John Winn

John Winn Captain

I've never been back to Gettysburg but do have a strong desire to visit. William Frassanito's work still fascinates me.

I did visit a few other battlefields as an older child but didn't have any sense of connection. There are a few that definitely have a draw when I read about them, much more so than most others. Some day I hope to make a pilgrimage to Virginia and see those (as well as visit some family sites).

FarawayFriend likes this.
  11. ole

ole Brev. Brig. Gen'l Retired Moderator

Appreciate your observation, John. Had an astrologer tell me that I was, in another life, a drowned pilot on a riverboat. On the other hand, EMF, is quite at cross purposes.

12. Connie

Connie Private

I for one believe you did experience a paranormal event and if you were interested in expanding upon such experiences you could just by setting your intent.

13. bankerpapaw

bankerpapaw Sergeant Major

Have you been back to Gettysburg since?

14. John Winn

John Winn Captain

As I said, I've not been back but would love to visit. Maybe some day.

15. mphstteach

mphstteach Sergeant

Very interesting story! I too have always heard kids have a knack for tuning into that stuff

16. Patrick H

Patrick H Captain

I can't explain such things, but I believe it was more than an active imagination. It was real for you.

17. John Winn

John Winn Captain

It was certainly that.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)