What did I find?

De Eppresso Liber

Retired User
IMG_1137.JPG
I found this item at a civil war camp in Corinth, MS. Can anyone help me identify what it is? The camp is in and around a neighborhood so there is a chance it could be post civil war. Any help is welcome! Thanks.

Well, I'm not sure of the material it's made out of and it's relatively light. Here's a pic with a penny next to it for scale. It's 2 inches long....
IMG_1138.JPG

Appears to be brass... with the visible retaining bent hooks on the side.... its likely once part of a broach or other decorative device... Have found many such similar items excavated in the past... both whole or broken parts...

Interesting. I was thinking maybe it was decorative piece off a cap or headgear. The camp I'm hunting was originally Confederate but then was occupied by Union forces after the battle of Corinth. Any chance it's off a confederate uniform or hat?

Interesting. I was thinking maybe it was decorative piece off a cap or headgear. The camp I'm hunting was originally Confederate but then was occupied by Union forces after the battle of Corinth. Any chance it's off a confederate uniform or hat?

NO

There is a similar piece in Crouch's relic book, though his find was gilted and identified as a "Gold gilt cloisonné woman's dress belt clasp." The piece he illustrates on page 49 even has the complete clasp, it does differ, as it is floral in design, but relatively the same in size. The piece was found in a US Cav camp and explained by the bevy of female visitors to such camps.

Wow, that's interesting. Thanks for the information. I guess that would make perfect sense as the location is relatively close to Corinth's downtown area. I wonder if it would been lost while the Confederates had still held the town as I don't think many local females would want to associate with Union troops! Thanks for the information, that would make it a pretty rare piece because I wouldn't think many women would loose items in a camp. Thanks for the research!

Back