What American Civil War Books Are You Planning On Buying/Reading Next?

R. Evans

Sergeant
Forgive me if there is a thread like this around. I did a search and couldn't find anything.:smile:

So here goes. These 3 should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Can't wait to dive in.​
One+Continuous+Fight.jpg
No-Better-Place-to-Die-9780252016523.jpg
9781596297456_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I've just started reading Shrouds of Glory by Winston Groom (yes, the author of Forrest Gump), detailing John Bell Hood's final campaign in the west and ending with his futile assault at Nashville. After that, I plan to read Stephen W. Sears's Landscape Turned Red, about the battle of Antietam. Call me crazy, but I might try reading Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels...again! It never gets old.

Vote Here:
I've just started reading Shrouds of Glory by Winston Groom (yes, the author of Forrest Gump), detailing John Bell Hood's final campaign in the west and ending with his futile assault at Nashville. After that, I plan to read Stephen W. Sears's Landscape Turned Red, about the battle of Antietam. Call me crazy, but I might try reading Michael Shaara's The Killer Angels...again! It never gets old.

Shrouds of Glory is on my short list

Vote Here:
Shrouds of Glory is on my short list
It's very good, and well worth the read. I've always wondered, "John Bell Hood, what went wrong?" Winston Groom manages to shed some interesting light on the subject. Shrouds of Glory is the third book on the Civil War written by Winston Groom that I have read, the other two being (also highly recommended) Shiloh, 1862 and Vicksburg, 1863.

Vote Here:
Started "Shiloh-Conquer or Perish" by Timothy Smith today.
Tomorrow, before the 'Bama game, will start with the 1st chapters of "Lee-The Final Years" by Charles Flood, for my online History reading group.

Vote Here:
Vote Here:
looking to get ed bearrs 3 volume set on Vicksburg.just got through reading "Receding tide"by him. i think he probably knows more about vicksburg then anyone.trick is to find the 3 volume set at the right pric.
Just saw the set on Vicksburg on Amazon for $450. wish i had the money to buy it, but a little out of my budget.

Vote Here:
Hope this is the right spot for this - does anybody have an opinion on how good this book might be as it is coming out in 2017 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/1611213312/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

Good writers. I overall am a fan of the Emerging Civil War series because its a good gateway into a subject you want to learn more about. There are more detailed books out about the topic typically but ECW is a great starting point to get the basics.

Vote Here:
Good writers. I overall am a fan of the Emerging Civil War series because its a good gateway into a subject you want to learn more about. There are more detailed books out about the topic typically but ECW is a great starting point to get the basics.

Chris Mackowski, the co-author of this particular book and the series editor, has a Ph.D. in journalism--he is indeed a journalism professor--and writes very, very well. That means that the books in the series are always well-written and well-edited.

Vote Here:
Back