what about Culp's Hill?

Stonewall wasn't too surprised. He'd been deceased for a couple of months.
We simply must get into the same book, Larry. Stonewall was very much alive and kicking at Brawner's Farm -- the opening action of Manassas II.
Ole

Ewell

samgrant said:
Larry, hope you are not excusing Ewell can be excused because if Jackson was there he might have fallen asleep? :smile:

Sam...funny you should mention Ewell. He took a minnie ball in the leg at Brawner's Fram, compliments of those d**n black hats. He was never the same after that.

Calicoboy

Ewell

Wasn't just the leg wound either, it was that domineering wife of his too, you know "Mrs. Brown" to quote her dear husband. According to aide, Sandy Pendleton, her influence was overbearing in camp as well.

the railroad cut

Rad2duhbone53 said:
How important was Culps Hill and what significance was there for spanglers spring or oak ridge or the "railroad cut"?:confused:

As the Iron Brigade slugged it out with Confederate troops on McPherson's Ridge on the first day of Gettysburg, The 6th Wisconsin, along with an honor guard of 20 men from each regiment (100 men), were being held in reserve. Cutler's Brigade, on the Union right, started to give way to overwhelming pressure from ever increasing numbers. Rufus Dawes was ordered to take his men and try to stop the flanking movement. The Confedrates were moving up an unfinished railroad cut and had excellent cover. As dozens of "Calicoboys" were being cut down, Dawes did the only thing he deemed possible. He ordered a charge. The 96th New York and the 14th Brooklyn (of Cutler's Brigade) joined the fight. The charge to the cut was brutal. Flag bearers fell like flies. However, once the 6th got to the edge of the cut, things changed. Now the cut became a slaughter pen. The 2nd Mississippi was trapped at the bottom and the 6th poured a terrific fire down on them. Sergeant Frank (or Francis) Waller captured the 2nd Mississippi's battle flag (the story of how that flag got to Gettysburg is a great yarn in itself). Hundred's of Mississippians had to surrender. At one time, Dawes was carrying so many surrendered swords, he had to hand them over to one of his men. Howard's Corp collapsed leaving the 6th and the rest of the Iron Brigade exposed on three sides. The regiments of the Iron Brigade did a fighting withdrawal through Gettysburg and onto Culp's Hill. Those D*mn black hats started out with about 1800 men that day. Only about 600 reassembled on Culp's. An excellent recount of this action can be found in Lance Herdegen's book "In the Bloody Railroad Cut at Gettysburg"

Calicoboy

milhistbuff1 said:
Wasn't just the leg wound either, it was that domineering wife of his too, you know "Mrs. Brown" to quote her dear husband. According to aide, Sandy Pendleton, her influence was overbearing in camp as well.

Wouldn't it be funny to write a "revisionist" history as to why the South lost the war - because of a henpecked general who was too browbeatened and distracted to perform his duties.

If timelines were ignored, I'd cast Don Knotts and Marjorie Main as General and Mrs. Ewell.
Ole

Remember that Don Knotts had at least nine children. He wasn't as henpecked as he looked!

Pinckney:
Don't get the NRA pub. Will you expand on the rifle found, please?
Ole

Calicoboy said:
Sam...funny you should mention Ewell. He took a minnie ball in the leg at Brawner's Fram, compliments of those d**n black hats. He was never the same after that.

Calicoboy

"It was on July 1 while following up his troops into Gettysburg that the general escaped injury. Accompanied by General John B. Gordon, the two rode into town when the crack of a bullet followed by a sickening thump was heard by General Gordon. Gordon asked Ewell if he were injured to which the general replied, "No, no, I'm not hurt. But suppose that ball had struck you: we would have had the trouble of carrying you off the field, sir. You see how much better fixed for a fight I am than you are. It don't hurt a bit to be shot in a wooden leg."

http://www.nps.gov/archive/gett/getttour/tstops/tstd-05.htm

Dibs!

Dang, I was wondering where I left that gun. Now, where do I file my claim?

Ole, the story is about an 1853 Enfield found after the battle at Culps Hill. It had engraved on the stock J. A. Fallin CO E 23 VA. On July 28th 1863 a recently discharged Drummer from the 165th Regiment of Pennsylvania Drafted Militia picked slthe rifle up along with some other souvenirs before returning home. He later served in CO B 21st Pennsylvania Cavalry from Feb 1864 to July 1865. His Family donated the rifle to the National Park Service along with some other items. The rifle is scheduled to be on display in the new Gettysburg Visitors Center.

Pvt. Fallin Enlisted in the 23rd Virginia on May 7, 1861. He was listed as sick that same month and as a deserter in August. He deserted again in November of 1863. Placed in arrest until February 1864. He was carried on the rolls again until May of 1864 when he was captured near Spotsylvania. He went to FT. Monroe on June 20, 1864. He ended up in at Point Lookout. and was discharged from there on June 12, 1865. He may have been present for the battles of Laurel Hill and Corricks Ford in 1861. He is listed as being with the 23rd at Gettysburg, Bealton, Paynes farm.

Pinckney

I finally received my copy of the American Rifleman and there is a wonderful article on the rifle mentioned by Pickney.

JerseyBart said:
I'd like to discuss Culp's Hill in more detail as well. How intense was the fighting??? How close did or did the hill not come to being taken by the Confederates??? What about that Confederate regiment's dog mascot??? Inquiring minds want to know. I want to know.

Bart :thumbsup:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culp%27s_Hill

This website has some good general information on the fighting at Culp's Hill.

Hope that's helpful.

Back