Welcome!

Eric Wittenberg

1st Lieutenant
Keeper of the Scales
Please allow me to welcome you to the Civil War cavalry forum. Our focus here is on the troopers of the blue and gray. I've spent my adult life studying Civil War cavalry operations, and some of you may be familiar with some of my work. I'm your host, and I'm here to facilitate discussions. Join in!

Best of luck with the new forum @Eric Wittenberg .
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif
thumbsup.gif

I will follow it closely.

flag2 (1).PNG

Please allow me to welcome you to the Civil War cavalry forum. Our focus here is on the troopers of the blue and gray. I've spent my adult life studying Civil War cavalry operations, and some of you may be familiar with some of my work. I'm your host, and I'm here to facilitate discussions. Join in!
Certainly an underutilized asset in the war. Best wishes.

Thanks for taking this on. How did you get interested in cavalry?

Lifelong, Pat. It goes back to my first visit to Gettysburg as a third grader, when I was captivated by the story of Buford and his troopers. Then I saw The Horse Soldiers, and the rest, as they say, was history....

My screen name is taken from my gg-grandfather who was a trooper with the 12th PA Cav. I've read Leather and Steel by Larry Maier but continue to be interested in the horse soldiers. He mustered in during the last year of the war and was wounded at some point. My gg-grandmother continued to receive a widow's pension after his death.

I look forward to reading more. Thanks.

Great news for me. I expect some great threads. I recently purchased 2 new books dealing with the Michigan I hope this forum helps inspire me to move these book up to my read next list. I recently finished this book about Michigan Cavalry ( the book is mostly about the 6th Michigan Cavalry) during the Gettysburg Campaign. Now I know everything about the Six Michigan Cavalry at Gettysburg, well perhaps not every thing.

mi cv 1.jpg

Small world factor, Eric - I just sent you an email through your website ref 6th PA Cav.

Back