Pickett Welcome to the New George E Pickett Forum!

• Thread starter Deleted member 8452
  • Start date
Should be outstanding thanks for taking it on. Pickett was a character, on the field and off. You sure you want to talk about Five Forks, though?:sneaky:

Yes, Five Forks needs to be discussed, the whole "Shad Bake Fiasco"

He wasn't perfect, nobody is, I want to hear from both sides critical and supportive, I sure Pickett as well as almost all civil war generals had their pros and cons.

Look forward to what you have to say!

Could be :smile:
I've got the whole series DVR'd:
Five Forks Baked Shad
Gettysburg "Yankee" Pot Roast
Williamsburg Roast Gamecock
Gaines Mill Horseburgers
Special Episode: Christmas At Fredericksburg

Gaines Mill Horseburgers! Yum Yum
must of been hard to prepare with a bullet in his shoulder

Williamsburg Roast Gamecock, Oh i get it cause he named his brigade "The Gamecocks"

I have to ask if this is based on Gettysburg and Five Forks alone.
Gettysburg and Five Forks aside, there's not much else- he was wounded during the Peninsula and out of action for about 3 months. He was promoted, but the division he commanded was only lightly engaged at Fredericksburg and they were off foraging during Chancellorsville. So Gettysburg was his first "real" test in division command.

Ah, the CSMC. Many would say they were among the first special ops guys.
I saw some on here have the opinion that Pickett was promoted beyond his capabilities. I have to ask if this is based on Gettysburg and Five Forks alone.

I heard that the U.S. Rangers claim lineage to Mosby's 43rd Virginia Battalion, don't know how true that is...

Your second question is a good one, overall Pickett was one of three divisional commanders during the July 3rd Charge, a lot of people criticized him because he was not wounded, and was being avoiding the front line.

But actually I think he was doing the right thing by staying back and trying to organize and effectively strategize his divisions assault, when he saw it was taking heavy losses he went to go look for support, but got none.

I'll post more stuff that will go into greater detail about his charge

I think Five Forks showed he really was not experienced enough in division, but then again there were factors such as, well Pickett was still bitter about Gettysburg, supplies and men were low, the AoNV was a shell of its former self, and basically by Five Forks the war was basically over.

If Pickett was even at Five Forks, I doubt it would of changed much, his men still would of been routed by the superior numbers and weaponry of Sheridan's forces.

Gettysburg and Five Forks aside, there's not much else- he was wounded during the Peninsula and out of action for about 3 months. He was promoted, but the division he commanded was only lightly engaged at Fredericksburg and they were off foraging during Chancellorsville. So Gettysburg was his first "real" test in division command.

Again, his performance in the Peninsula Campaign showed that he was a good brigadier general, but i don't know how him being absent for so long gave Longstreet the idea of getting him a Division.

I really think the reason Longstreet gave Pickett a division, is because they were friends who served together before, in the Mexican American War. Pickett definitely showed he was a brave infantry general when leading a regiment or brigade.

But, that dose not qualify as a good divisional commander

I really think the reason Longstreet gave Pickett a division, is because they were friends who served together before, in the Mexican American War. Pickett definitely showed he was a brave infantry general when leading a regiment or brigade.
I think you hit the nail on the head there. It seems like his promotion to brigadier was merited, but beyond that...Longstreet needed a division commander, he had a soft spot for Pickett, and the rest is history.

I think you hit the nail on the head there. It seems like his promotion to brigadier was merited, but beyond that...Longstreet needed a division commander, he had a soft spot for Pickett, and the rest is history.

Yeah you got a point, I have not really come across someone who could replace him, but I'm sure their were options.

this also might show that the ANV was also Virginia Biased, same reasons why guys like A.P. Hill and Richard Ewell took over after Chancellorsville. If you were from Virginia, you got promoted

I guess one "what if" that could be "what if Pickett's Division was at Chancellorsville" if that would of given him experience or not.

Yeah you got a point, I have not really come across someone who could replace him, but I'm sure their were options.

this also might show that the ANV was also Virginia Biased, same reasons why guys like A.P. Hill and Richard Ewell took over after Chancellorsville. If you were from Virginia, you got promoted
Which is REALLY telling in Longstreet's case- if there was an inherent pro-VA bias, it didn't stop him from gaining the #2 spot in the ANV...

I guess one "what if" that could be "what if Pickett's Division was at Chancellorsville" if that would of given him experience or not.
At Gettysburg, Pickett went far enough forward to come under artillery fire; farther than any other division commander. I would hazard a guess that he would've been likewise exposed- if not more so- at Chancellorsville. Does he survive? Is he wounded and out of action? Captured? And does the experience make him less eager for the "glory" of combat? Maybe once it's out of his system, a more somber, reflective Pickett arrives at Gettysburg.

Which is REALLY telling in Longstreet's case- if there was an inherent pro-VA bias, it didn't stop him from gaining the #2 spot in the ANV...

At Gettysburg, Pickett went far enough forward to come under artillery fire; farther than any other division commander. I would hazard a guess that he would've been likewise exposed- if not more so- at Chancellorsville. Does he survive? Is he wounded and out of action? Captured? And does the experience make him less eager for the "glory" of combat? Maybe once it's out of his system, a more somber, reflective Pickett arrives at Gettysburg.

We will never know because it never happened, i said something similar to that on a Stonewall Jackson Survives what if.

Yeah Longstreet seems to be an exception, probably because he was a very good general, was he perfect, no, but was he good, overall most likely. He had his faults though

Aww man, you suckered me into that one- I NEVER do the "What if" threads unless they involve Zombies! I only bit on this one cuz it's your forum and I wanted to be neighborly :D

The South Will Rise Again from their Graves? Sounds like some god awful cheesy alternate history novel.

and you can still be neighborly :thumbsup:, even if you live on the opposite end of the USA.

Back