1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Welcome to Post Civil War History, The Reconstruction Period

Discussion in 'Post Civil War History, The Reconstruction Period' started by Pat Young, Jan 2, 2017.

1. Bee

Bee 2nd Lieutenant

It is a powerful tool that is excellent for quick reference. I just used it the other day to decide on "Reconstruction Heroes" who deserve more attention.

KansasFreestater and Pat Young like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. Pat Young

Pat Young Colonel Forum Host

Thanks. I wish I could embed it on CWT but the format does not allow it. Glad to hear that you are using it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  4. Pat Young

Good suggestions. I have been looking at some interesting post-war materials on topics as wide-ranging as divorce rates after the war and economic dislocation. A lot to study.

Drew, KansasFreestater and nitrofd like this.
  5. Pat Young

Hope you will join in.

KansasFreestater likes this.
  6. 18thVirginia

18thVirginia Captain Forum Host

It would be nice to see real statistics and information about Reconstruction topics rather than broad generalities that may have just been repeated by historians from some early historian's thoughts. Sometimes that's available only for a very small population, but even that would be helpful.

Pat Young likes this.
  7. Pat Young

Good point. I would also like to post more of the actual laws from that period as well. We can try to build up references on these things. Last year I posted many of the state and local Black Codes enacted in 1865 and 1866. I would like to look at laws disqualifying former Confederates from voting and office-holding. We hear these alluded to a lot, but typically without citation.

nitrofd likes this.
  8. Andersonh1

Andersonh1 2nd Lieutenant

I'd like to see some discussion about the Union League and the black militias, because I haven't read a lot of good information about those groups. How did they contribute to the post-war climate in the Southern states?

Pat Young likes this.
  9. Pat Young

Good topic. I had been doing some reading on that last year and the film Free State of Jones had scenes involving the Union League.

nitrofd and Andersonh1 like this.
  10. Drew

Drew Captain

Divorce rates will be interesting. I'd also look at the relative lack of potential mates for Southern women and how that played out. I suspect they're weren't a lot of men to marry, when all was said and done.

nitrofd, Pat Young and Andersonh1 like this.
  11. Pat Young

I saw an article on that a while back. I will try to dig it up. There is also a recent book on the subject. I think it is for divorce in North Carolina.

12. Drew

Drew Captain

Mid-19th century divorce rates will be interesting. Not sure how much of that went on, we'll see.

Pat Young likes this.
  13. Pat Young

Yup.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)