Weekend in Gettysburg

Mary763

Corporal
I just returned from a beautiful weekend in Gettysburg. On this trip, I visited the new Seminary Ridge museum and climbed up to the cupola. I have to recommend it to anyone interested in admiring the view that Buford was able to see. I went back to "The Gettysburg Museum of History" which has a great display of not just Civil War relics but an amazing collection of items relating to many of our key historical figures. Of course, I travelled through the battlefield which, I find myself feeling more attached to as I continue to increase my knowledge and understanding about the individuals who fought there.
I also felt that since I couldn't be in D.C., it was a proper place to be on the anniversary of President Lincoln's assassination to reflect on all of his inspiring accomplishments. He truly was a great man and it was humbling to be where he delivered one of his greatest speeches.
Sadly, I am now home and will begin the countdown to my next visit. :unsure:

Thanks Union_Buff! I try to get there once a year and each time I find something or somewhere new to explore!

Mary, its wonderful that you had such a memorable visit. You can spend the countdown to the next visit basking in those lovely memories. I had a similar experience with my November visit to Antietam. I know what you mean about looking forward to another visit. Gettysburg holds a special place in many of our hearts. Better watch out, you may end up moving there! I know I think about how great it would be to retire near there.

Mary, its wonderful that you had such a memorable visit. You can spend the countdown to the next visit basking in those lovely memories. I had a similar experience with my November visit to Antietam. I know what you mean about looking forward to another visit. Gettysburg holds a special place in many of our hearts. Better watch out, you may end up moving there! I know I think about how great it would be to retire near there.
I would definitely love to move out that way some day. I'm hoping to take a trip next summer to Virginia and Maryland to see some of the other sites.

I just returned from a beautiful weekend in Gettysburg. On this trip, I visited the new Seminary Ridge museum and climbed up to the cupola. I have to recommend it to anyone interested in admiring the view that Buford was able to see. I went back to "The Gettysburg Museum of History" which has a great display of not just Civil War relics but an amazing collection of items relating to many of our key historical figures. Of course, I travelled through the battlefield which, I find myself feeling more attached to as I continue to increase my knowledge and understanding about the individuals who fought there.
I also felt that since I couldn't be in D.C., it was a proper place to be on the anniversary of President Lincoln's assassination to reflect on all of his inspiring accomplishments. He truly was a great man and it was humbling to be where he delivered one of his greatest speeches.

No matter how many times you been on the Battle Field there is always something to see or learn that you
didn't know about before...

I was there on Saturday. I walked from Cemetery Hill all the way to Little Round Top and back. It was a gorgeous day.

Nice to hear of your visit to Gettysburg Mary. It must have been enjoyable with the great weather. Its been a while since I've been there. A two hour drive for me. Where do you call home If you don't mind me asking?

Nice to hear of your visit to Gettysburg Mary. It must have been enjoyable with the great weather. Its been a while since I've been there. A two hour drive for me. Where do you call home If you don't mind me asking?
Hi French, I live on the west coast side of New Jersey (across from Philadelphia) so it's a 3 hour drive for me.

Mary763,

Good to hear that you had such a good time.

I intend to visit there this June, from the 16th - 19th with the grandkids and Mimi. Really interested in seeing the changes brought about.

Thanks for giving me the preview.

Sincerely,
Unionblue

Here are a few photos from my trip. The first one is a view from the cupola at the Seminary Ridge Museum.

IMGP3155.JPG
IMGP3199.JPG
IMGP3203.JPG
IMGP3207.JPG
IMGP3235.JPG
IMGP3308.JPG
IMGP3322.JPG

Back