1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Was the Relationship Between Thad Stevens and Lydia Hamilton Smith Common Knowledge in 1865?

Discussion in 'Civil War History - General Discussion' started by Bryan_C, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Bryan_C

Bryan_C Sergeant

I wasn't sure where to post this since my question is about a relationship and not politics.

I saw Lincoln last night. Great film.

The realtionship between Congressman Thaddeus Stevens and Lydia Hamilton Smith was featured in the film. The movie suggests they sought to keep their relationship a secret. But was their relationship common knowledge to people at the time? In other words, did Thad Stevens live openly with a Black woman?

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. diane

diane Colonel Forum Host

As I understand it, she was mulatto - white father, black mother - who was born in Gettysburg and was a free person of color. I believe she lived in a separate house behind Stevens' place and worked as his housekeeper for many years but his relationship with her didn't seem to be that. He took her to social events, gave her a goodly sum in his will, had her portrait done and introduced her to influential people. She was a very accomplished lady - she seems to have been part of the Underground Railroad, and was quite a good businesswoman after Stevens died. As Stevens remarked when questioned about their real relationship, no children had been raised under his roof! (Which didn't answer anything, of course...)

4. Rebforever

Rebforever 2nd Lieutenant

[​IMG]

A sharp looking lady.

diane likes this.
  5. BillO

BillO 1st Lieutenant

I'd read years ago (no clue where) that he actually lived with 2 colored ladies who travelled with him.

6. diane

diane Colonel Forum Host

I wonder if one was her mom? I'd heard somewhere that Lydia took good care of her. She had a couple sons by a free black man who disappeared - don't know if she was a widow or got divorced or what - but one was in the Union army.

7. Dave Wilma

Dave Wilma Sergeant Major Forum Host

I'm shocked, shocked, that there's gamboling here.

AndyHall and diane like this.
  8. BillO

BillO 1st Lieutenant

Yes, I believe it was common knowledge among the people in DC or those who worked with him or knew him socially

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)