Stonewall Brass Napoleon Award Was "...like a stone wall" no compliment at all?

brass napoleon award.jpg

Sorry if this has been asked earlier, I haven't found anything to answer my question...
I have just watched the Civil War Journal episode about Stonewall Jackson @Rebel Rally Point had shown us in this thread:
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/civil-war-journal-stonewall-jackson.124250/

In this episode one of the historians, I think it was either Robertson or Krick, mentioned that the famous sentence "There stands Jackson like a stone wall!” said by Gen. Barnard Bee at First Manassas maybe was not at all meant as a compliment. Bee might have wanted to say that Jackson simply did nothing while others were fighting hard. Personally I cannot believe that. If sources are right, Bee said not just that sentence, but two sentences: “Rally behind the Virginians! There stands Jackson like a stone wall!”

In that context, it can only be meant as a compliment in my opinion. But these unexpected twists always fascinate me.

What do you all think about it? Was Bee mistaken? Was Jackson maybe just meditating in the face of the enemy, doing nothing to help?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry if this has been asked earlier, I haven't found anything to answer my question...
I have just watched the Civil War Journal episode about Stonewall Jackson @Rebel Rally Point had shown us in this thread:
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/civil-war-journal-stonewall-jackson.124250/

In this episode one of the historians, I think it was either Robertson or Krick, mentioned that the famous sentence "There stands Jackson like a stone wall!” said by Gen. Barnard Bee at First Manassas maybe was not at all meant as a compliment. Bee might have wanted to say that Jackson simply did nothing while others were fighting hard. Personally I cannot believe that. If sources are right, Bee said not just that sentence, but two sentences: “Rally behind the Virginians! There stands Jackson like a stone wall!”

In that context, it can only be meant as a compliment in my opinion. But these unexpected twists always fascinate me.

What do you all think about it? Was Bee mistaken? Was Jackson maybe just meditating in the face of the enemy, doing nothing to help?
Jackson was following orders (To the letter I might add) while he could see what was going on around him, he simply would not leave his post. He was following his orders. Bee's comment was not said as a compliment. IMHO

I'll pull out my copy of Robertson and revisit 1st Manassas when I get home.

Jackson was following orders (To the letter I might add) while he could see what was going on around him, he simply would not leave his post. He was following his orders. Bee's comment was not said as a compliment. IMHO

Wow, that is interesting! Was he mistaken then? The nickname "Stonewall" was always used in admiration, or at least I always tbought so...

But as @truthckr said there is another thread somewhere, maybe I should look for that one. If someone finds it I'd be grateful if you could post the link here.
Thank you all for your comments.

And have a safe trip home @War Horse! Thanks in advance for searching in Robertson's book.

Last edited:
Well, this was discussed back in 2011:

http://civilwartalk.com/threads/there-stands-jackson-like-a-stonewall.24305/

I go with Professor Robertson, who says the evidence is too strong against it being an insult. Bee was trying to rally his men and inspire them, not complain about another officer.
I know that this is going to stir up a hornet's nest, but as good as Dr. Robertson is, I have to balance what he says with the fact that he comes across as feeling that only Virginians and Virginia matter in the Civil War. And since Bee was a non Virginian, leading non Virginians; there is no doubt in my mind that Dr. Robertson would side with a Virginian.

(curious sensation: Defending "Bee")

Out of my oldest and most treasured family history book -- The Stonewall Brigade by James I Robertson -- comes this quote (have I fully established my bias enough :smile:

Bee yanked his horse around and galloped toward Henry House, around which his retreating men were swarming. The South Carolinian rose in his stirrups and, pointing his sword to the hilltop, cried "Look! There is Jackson standing like a stone wall! Rally behind the Virginians!" Fragments of the three brigades began to veer to the right and fall in behind Jackson's line.
I Beelieve that Bee was inspiring his men.

Last edited:
Maybe Bee actually said "there is Jackson standing by the stone wall" and with all the noise and confusion he was mistakenly thought to have said "like a stone wall." In that case he might have just been stating a fact and directing the men's attention to the correct place where they should rally.

Just sayin'. Maybe I'll start another thread where we can propose alternative nicknames for TJ. That ought cause some commotion around here.

BJ

Maybe Bee actually said "there is Jackson standing by the stone wall" and with all the noise and confusion he was mistakenly thought to have said "like a stone wall." In that case he might have just been stating a fact and directing the men's attention to the correct place where they should rally.

Just sayin'. Maybe I'll start another thread where we can propose alternative nicknames for TJ. That ought cause some commotion around here.

BJ

Is nothing sacred around here??? :unsure:

Back