Vote for the August 2014 Photo of the Month!

vote

Votes: 2 2.2%

Votes: 5 5.6%

Votes: 3 3.3%

Votes: 7 7.8%

Votes: 4 4.4%

Votes: 2 2.2%

Votes: 1 1.1%

Votes: 6 6.7%

Votes: 16 17.8%

Votes: 10 11.1%

Votes: 7 7.8%

Votes: 3 3.3%

Votes: 22 24.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ami

First Lady of CivilWarTalk
Super Moderator
1)
yankeehoorah_zps0e60555f.jpg

2)
wesb_zps234eed96.jpg

3)
lonestardreams_zpsed665c70.jpg

4)
1stMS-Arty_zpse69d2e6a.jpg

5)
Jpinta_zps1aeb568b.jpg

6)
Seduzal_zpsbef95d6e.png

7)
Championhilz_zps5e2724ee.jpg

8)
CW1865_zps2763529a.jpg

9)
Dbersh_zps9c9ab626.jpg

10)
cwsteno14_zpsa90f90db.jpg

11)
jsbuys_zpse0b0fcf4.jpg

12)
Floridaman1985_zps4982fc80.jpg

13)
airlinkdiva_zps0563e3b5.jpg

14)
gbiguy_zpse8c5627a.jpg

15)
willianbechmann_zps46c38740.jpg

That one appeals to me the most. It's a curious meeting of different generations, and I cant help but wonder whether the child in the picture understands what that stone means. Perhaps it is the wording upon that grave that makes my mind go in this direction. It is blunt, unsympathetic, it just reads Delaware - the location or the State the men were from? - and that 15 bodies lay under it - if I am, indeed, interpreting it correctly having never been to the place in person - it's almost cruel. To see a monument to the fallen depicted in such an almost unfeeling way coupled with an innocent child is somewhat compelling in a way I cannot really describe.

Or am I just being a bit of a ponce and reading too much into it?

That one appeals to me the most. It's a curious meeting of different generations, and I cant help but wonder whether the child in the picture understands what that stone means. Perhaps it is the wording upon that grave that makes my mind go in this direction. It is blunt, unsympathetic, it just reads Delaware - the location or the State the men were from? - and that 15 bodies lay under it - if I am, indeed, interpreting it correctly having never been to the place in person - it's almost cruel. To see a monument to the fallen depicted in such an almost unfeeling way coupled with an innocent child is somewhat compelling in a way I cannot really describe.

Or am I just being a bit of a ponce and reading too much into it?
Very well said and I agree with you totally. I'd also add that the child is getting and introduction and induction into the Civil War and hopefully acquiring a life long interest that she will pass on when she becomes an adult. She is the future.

remember this is a photography contest, you are not to vote on what you think the photographers intentions are. Please keep your comments limited to what you can determine from the photo.

I chose #9 because it is well composed and can mean many different things to each individual. The focus of the is on the intertwined flags, as reconciliation, while the battlefield is unfocussed because it is in the past. The wildflowers emphasize that peace is there, where they can bloom and not be trampled by the sturm und drang of war. This photo speaks to me in ways that the others don't.

I chose #9 because it is well composed and can mean many different things to each individual. The focus of the is on the intertwined flags, as reconciliation, while the battlefield is unfocussed because it is in the past. The wildflowers emphasize that peace is there, where they can bloom and not be trampled by the sturm und drang of war. This photo speaks to me in ways that the others don't.

Exactly my opinion - although Nr. 12 hints in the same direction. I like to see that the former enemies now act together.
It's really hard to decide this time, I will have to think a while about it.

That is my little girl in pic #2. I wasn't posting it to win a contest, but to show folks that the next generations are interested in what took place upon hallowed ground. I'm hoping the pic will help others show their younger family members that history is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back