Visiting battlefields on week off

Jamieva

Captain
Forum Host
So I have the upcoming week off so decided to hit up a bunch of places I had not seen yet (mostly non major ones).

Today was Five Forks, Fort Gregg, Hatcher's Run,White Oak. White Oak and Hatcher's Run just have a roadside pull off. There are 2 interpretive markers at Hatcher's Run plus a marker for the spot near where Pegram was killed. Some dummy had climbed up on the works at Fort Gregg to put a very small flag on it.

I don't know if other NPS sites have this but Five Forks has a phone number you call and you enter a number and it tells you about where you are. It's like a guided tour almost.

Tomorrow is Cedar Mountain and Trevilian Station.

So I have the upcoming week off so decided to hit up a bunch of places I had not seen yet (mostly non major ones).

Today was Five Forks, Fort Gregg, Hatcher's Run,White Oak. White Oak and Hatcher's Run just have a roadside pull off. There are 2 interpretive markers at Hatcher's Run plus a marker for the spot near where Pegram was killed. Some dummy had climbed up on the works at Fort Gregg to put a very small flag on it.

I don't know if other NPS sites have this but Five Forks has a phone number you call and you enter a number and it tells you about where you are. It's like a guided tour almost.

Didja go in the Five Forks Visitor Center? It's actually better than the one at Cold Harbor.

Ok going out tomorrow. Changed my agenda. Since they are so close together going to hit Brandy Station first, then Cedar Mountain and hopefully Trevilian Station.

Actually, White Oak has a nice walking trail through the ground owned by the Civil War Trust. There is interpretation along the trail. It's well worth a visit.

Enjoy Trevilians.

Oh. I must have missed it. They had no signage up to tell that.

Eric I have your book for Bristoe Station so will be using that for the driving/walking tour.

Actually, White Oak has a nice walking trail through the ground owned by the Civil War Trust. There is interpretation along the trail. It's well worth a visit.

Enjoy Trevilians.

The interpretation markers at the White Oak Battlefield need to be replaced, Eric. The weather has taken a toll on those buggers. The visitor can barely read the text......

Bill

Last edited:

Chickamauga has this feature for phones as of 2012

Back