VIRGINIA VIRGINIA VIRGINIA

34northcarolina

Private
Good evening all,

I have spent the last few weeks chasing my grandfathers family history. All of my relatives on my grandmothers side who served in the CS army were from NC but now I have found one uncle who served my home state of Virginia. Pvt John Manning of the 1st Battalion VA INF all I could find is below....any further record you all have?

John Manning
Residence was not listed;
Enlisted on 5/27/1861 at Covington, VA as a Private.

On 5/27/1861 he mustered into "D" Co. VA 1st Battn Infantry
(date and method of discharge not given)

He was listed as:
* Detached service 9/15/1861 (place not stated) (With General Loring (Army of Northwest))
* Returned 2/15/1862 (place not stated) (Estimated day)
* POW 6/2/1862 Strasburg, VA
* Confined 6/15/1862 Fort Delaware, DE
* Oath Allegiance 8/10/1862 (place not stated) (Released)

Sources used by Historical Data Systems, Inc.:

- The Virginia Regimental Histories Series
(c) Historical Data Systems, Inc. @ www.civilwardata.com

Good evening all,

I have spent the last few weeks chasing my grandfathers family history. All of my relatives on my grandmothers side who served in the CS army were from NC but now I have found one uncle who served my home state of Virginia. Pvt John Manning of the 1st Battalion VA INF all I could find is below....any further record you all have?

John Manning

He was listed as:
* Detached service 9/15/1861 (place not stated) (With General Loring (Army of Northwest))
* Oath Allegiance 8/10/1862 (place not stated) (Released)to the

See you subscribe to the Civil War database. I'd search out John Manning in the Union Army. See if you can find one that enlists shortly after 8 /10 / 1862 when he takes the Oath of Allegiance. A West Virginia or Kentucky Regiment maybe ? May have joined the Regular U.S. Army.

The Virginia Regimental Series has a book titled 1st Battalion Virginia Infantry, 39th Battalion Virginia Cavalry, 24th Battalion Virginia Partisan Rangers by Robert J. Driver Jr. and Kevin Ruffner that would give some details to locations probably. I've gotten ahold of a few by inter-library loans. The book is also available on http://www.bainesbooks.com/varegsrs.php if you were looking to buy. I'd try the inter-library loan first if you could. Though $25 new isn't bad for these books.

Good evening all,

John Manning

He was listed as:
* Oath Allegiance 8/10/1862 (place not stated) (Released)

If he was present in May he probably fought at McDowell and First Winchester.

Additional.....
- Jan-Feb 1862; Company Muster Roll; Absent detached with Brig Gen Loring

- Feb 1862: Regimental Return; Detached service with Gen Loring

- June 30th 1862: Company Muster Roll: Absent; Missing suppose to have been taken prisoner on march from Strasburg June 2nd 1862.

- Aug 5th 1862: Name appears on list of prisoners exchanged at Aikens Landing Va. Captured at Woodstock June 5th 1862, delivered June 26th 1862, by Lt Col Thompson (115?) Regt Penna Vol.

Aug 10th 1862; Name appears on list of prisoners taking the Oath of Allegiance at Fort Delaware

-Jan 1st 1863; Company Muster Roll; "Deserter"

Additional.....
- Jan-Feb 1862; Company Muster Roll; Absent detached with Brig Gen Loring

- Feb 1862: Regimental Return; Detached service with Gen Loring

- June 30th 1862: Company Muster Roll: Absent; Missing suppose to have been taken prisoner on march from Strasburg June 2nd 1862.

- Aug 5th 1862: Name appears on list of prisoners exchanged at Aikens Landing Va. Captured at Woodstock June 5th 1862, delivered June 26th 1862, by Lt Col Thompson (115?) Regt Penna Vol.

Aug 10th 1862; Name appears on list of prisoners taking the Oath of Allegiance at Fort Delaware

-Jan 1st 1863; Company Muster Roll; "Deserter"

So if he was present in the march from Strasburg does that mean he was most likely present at the battles of McDowell and Winchester, which were fought in May??

Back