Veterans Meet at the Wall

Gettysburg Greg

First Sergeant
vet stret.jpg

This is a very cool though unfortunately unclear photograph of veterans from Pickett's Division shaking hands with Union vets across the wall in front of the 69th Pa monument. The small markers extending out from the monument designate where each company of the unit were positioned and the chain connecting the markers is to signify that the line here was unbroken during the battle. My modern view is similar, but was not intended to be an exact match.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice photos :D Isn't it something how much the wall has disappeared from the top one ( I am assuming that it was taken at the 1913 reunion) and the present day photo on the bottom??? Everyone is a dang souvenir hunter. :laugh:

Nice photos :D Isn't it something how much the wall has disappeared from the top one ( I am assuming that it was taken at the 1913 reunion) and the present day photo on the bottom??? Everyone is a dang souvenir hunter. :laugh:
John, you may be correct about the 1913 date, I'm not sure, but I believe it could be from the 1888 25th anniversary-the 69th Monument was dedicated in 1887. Thanks for comment.

Below is a great read on the subject 1887 reunion of the 69th Pa. Their monument was dedicated in 1887.

This link has many photos from 1887 including Greg's above photo. Plus great dialogue of the 69th. Please note the second fence in the 1887 photos. You can barely make it out in the lower right of Greg's posting.

My frequent Gettysburg companion is Irish and I take a paper copy of the document below. He in interested in the New York City Irish. But the Philadelphia Irish of the 69th is also interesting to him. Thanks for posting Greg.

https://irishamericancivilwar.com/2...all-gone-the-69th-pennsylvania-at-gettysburg/

Last edited:

Is this what happens to the walls? People pick at them and abscond with parts and pieces? Yikes! That is almost like -- but not exactly like -- grave robbing!

Last edited:
Is this what happens to the walls? People pick at them and abscond with parts and pieces? Yikes! That is almost like -- but exactly like -- grave robbing!
You know....I never thought about it in that way. But yes....it would definitely be grave robbing. Pretty creepy and disrespectful.

Reactions: Bee
Is this what happens to the walls? People pick at them and abscond with parts and pieces? Yikes! That is almost like -- but exactly like -- grave robbing!

I took my two sons out to see Fort Sumter. My oldest, who was in high school at the time, saw some guy pry loose a hunk of brick and jam it into his pocket.

My son is a very mild mannered kid but he was furious. He marched over to the guy and just read home the riot act about respect and our country. Just laid into him.

Only time I ever saw him.do anything like that. I was very proud.

Below is a great read on the subject 1887 reunion of the 69th Pa. Their monument was dedicated in 1887.

This link has many photos from 1887 including Greg's above photo. Plus great dialogue of the 69th. Please note the second fence in the 1887 photos. You can barely make it out in the lower right of Greg's posting.

My frequent Gettysburg companion is Irish and I take a paper copy of the document below. He in interested in the New York City Irish. But the Philadelphia Irish of the 69th is also interesting to him. Thanks for posting Greg.

https://irishamericancivilwar.com/2...all-gone-the-69th-pennsylvania-at-gettysburg/
Thanks for sharing this!

It was the 1888 reunion. There were a couple stabbings in the town bars and a number of fights. Every reunion after was accompanied by chaperones from the Boy Scouts or other organizations.

Another thing that many people are not aware of is how controversial these reunions were. The Union veterans were so incensed that Confederate veterans were invited that the GAR could not endorse the reunions.

I would recommend Brian Matthew Jordan's Marching Home: Union Veterans and Their Unending Civil War which discusses the reunions as well as other issues that veterans faced in post-war America.

Ryan

Not sure the full truth value, but I once knew a gentleman who attended the 75th anniversary. He said when the veterans met at the wall the Union vets extended their hands to help the Confederate vets over the wall. When the Confederate vets attempted to go over the Union vets pushed them back telling them they didn't go over during the war, and they weren't going over then. He added the vets bickered back and forth throughout the anniversary event.

If those Stone walls aren't kept up they disappear over time.

In Ky. there is a special project of restoring the old stone walls. Some of the best are at Pleasant Hill, the restored Shaker community.

Not sure the full truth value, but I once knew a gentleman who attended the 75th anniversary. He said when the veterans met at the wall the Union vets extended their hands to help the Confederate vets over the wall. When the Confederate vets attempted to go over the Union vets pushed them back telling them they didn't go over during the war, and they weren't going over then. He added the vets bickered back and forth throughout the anniversary event.
I have seen an actual film of this that was taken from archives and no such thing happened.

Back