Grant United Blue and Gray Veterans Resolution for Gen. Grant

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
After the war, both Union and Confederate Veterans in Fresno, California united into one organization, the Fresno Camp, Blue and Gray Veterans. On January 10, 1885, the Fresno Republican reported the following resolution in response to reports of Gen. Grant's straitened financial circumstances:
d72bdfdb-bc0c-4de4-b563-2d5b690fa289_zpscbesbxuk.png
']
d72bdfdb-bc0c-4de4-b563-2d5b690fa289_zpscbesbxuk.png
[/URL]
The February 14, issue, reported his response:
blugry3_zps3fb1gcbe.png
']
blugry3_zps3fb1gcbe.png
[/URL]

Last edited:
This is excellent. And thank you for providing the link to your earlier thread on the Fresno Blue and Gray Veterans. I missed it the first time around.

This is excellent. And thank you for providing the link to your earlier thread on the Fresno Blue and Gray Veterans. I missed it the first time around.
Thank you! I just read it. So glad you shared all this.
Newspapers from the 1880s & '90s tell of many examples from all over the country, North and South, of joint reunions, parades, memorials by veterans of both sides. As Federal pensions and other benefits increased, you find many GAR Posts leading benefits to raise money for Confederate Veterans' hospitals, to make Federally developed prostheses available to Confederate amputees, to encourage southern states to provide Confederate pensions, etc. In many places, a true sense of camaraderie among the blue and gray is evident. The impulse for Reunion, under the Old Flag was strong and deep.
See also: 1890: Chattanooga Confederate Veterans show their Colors
There are, of course, exceptions, but they are rarely reported.

jno

Last edited:
Back