Union Soldiers dressed in Grey, Battle of Dallas

I have been sent a very interesting newspaper article by a fellow researcher that was published in the Chattanooga Daily Rebel in 1864. It tells of a curious event during the battle of Dallas. A Confederate Unit was out on picket duty when they were suddenly surprised by a union force dressed in Grey which was being led to their lines by a local guide. Quit a few of the Confederate's were captured without a shot being fired, the rest made a hasty retreat. One of the captured Soldiers was 1st Lieutenant John Thomas Hunt of Company B, 4th Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters. According to the article, the union soldiers led Lieutenant Hunt and the others back towards their (union) lines with a gun to Lt. Hunt's back. At some point a distraction gave Hunt and most of the others a chance to make their escape which they did and managed to make it back to their lines. There is no mention in Lt. Hunt's service records of this incident. However, in the service records of Private David G. W. Hood of Company C, 4th Battalion Georgia Sharpshooters it is mentioned that he was captured at Dallas Georgia on May 25, 1864. Hood was sent to Rock Island Prison where he waited out the rest of the war. He filed for Confederate Pension in Muscogee County Georgia in 1905 and Richmond County Georgia in 1907. His witness to his service for his pension application was Lt. John Thomas Hunt who stated that he was present when David Hood was captured as he was captured at the same time....

So this does indeed appear to be a true story. I have been trying to identify who these union soldiers in Grey might have been. They almost certainly had to be members of Logan's XV Corps as his Corps was holding the line at Dallas. The article is from the Confederate Point of view so there are lots of details missing. It is entirely possible that these were scavenged Confederate Grey coats from a previous engagement and they were adorned for the the purpose of making the union soldiers appear to be Confederate...

Where there any units in Logan's Corps who might have dressed in Grey full time? I have been looking for a mention of this incident from the union perspective but have not found it. I would love to know which unit this was dressed in Grey.

Back