Union Cavalry Forage Cap Insignia

djjr7744

Cadet
I am trying to find out if there is anything that would identify the regiment or company from the insignia on the forage cap shown in the attached photo. Or, does it just indicate that it is an infantry unit of the cavalry. I know the crossed swords indicate cavalry, but the symbols above and below where the swords cross is the unknown part. The symbols are hand guards for a sword (bottom) and knife (top). I think the soldier, a great uncle from Switzerland, enlisted somewhere in west Missouri between St. Louis and Kansas City where he was living before the Civil War, I think. There is a belt buckle in the full photo but the insignia is indistinguishable.
Thank you

Attachments

• stuessi-foragecap.jpg
    stuessi-foragecap.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 415
The photo is reversed, so the top symbol is a number 1 and the bottom symbol is the letter D--indicating 1st Regiment, Company D of a cavalry unit.

Thanks Pvt_McIntire for the answer to my question. I also got a private email from 64th_Illinois_Co_B with the same answer and giving me more info on how photography was taken in those days, and some other interesting facts. Hopefully, I get lucky and find my ancestor one of the the Missouri cavalry units.
Thanks so much for all your help,
Dan
Snohomish, Washington

Back