SIM Game Ultimate General: Civil War Game-Labs are back for another, more detailed exploration of the Americ

Wow. The last time I remember a videogame about the Civil War was Gods and Generals...and that had brought about heaps of criticism from both the Civil War community and the videogaming community. Wonder how this one will turn out.

Pixelated Apollo runs a popular gaming channel on YouTube, with gameplay examples of lots of different RTS games. This is his narrated First Bull Run, as an example of gameplay. Occasional language may be NSFW.

It really looks like the designers made a deliberate choice to give this the appearance and style of a miniatures wargame, as opposed to a hex-and-counter game or a more realistic, cinematic feel like the Total War titles.

Bought it last night. HUGE improvement from UG Gettysburg as far as detail. You can get lost in this game for days with the details allowed to you.

You pick the commanders of your units, if they are wounded or killed you pick replacements. You decide what types of weapons your units will carry. You have to carry supplies because you can run out of ammo (love that last improvement).

Anyone played the campaign mode? I jumped right into it as the south. I lost the war after being defeated at Port republic and Cross Keys. because I lost those battles little mac was able to crush the ANV

Just saw that gameplay footage. Wow! It looks great, it looks fun, and it looks like history! The thing that amazed me the most was the way the battle was portrayed. Die-hard Civil War buffs will recognize that the opening of the battle (Bull Run in this video) was exactly as McDowell planned. On top of that, they even show the familiar names of the leaders involved--Charles Griffin, William Sherman, Bernard Bee, and more. Now I'm tempted to see how they handled the Battle of Shiloh in the game.

Finally gave in and downloaded the game last night. It's a bit different from other RTS games that I'm used to like Rise of Nations or Age of Empires. There's no building of cities or working through technology trees. I've only run a few of the scenarios so far, so I've barely scratched the surface, but the game has some nice features with the way troops can use cover, and having good reputation can gain benefits with recruitment and government help.

I tried Pickett's charge but didn't have time to finish the scenario. I want to beat those Union troops without getting my armies wiped out! Forget General Lee, General Anderson is on the field!! :tongue:

I still have my CW board games TSS, SBA, Rebel Sabers, A Gleam of Bayonets, Wilson's Creek, Ironclads I and II, etc. I have never tried any of the video games, but I believe they are PC only, and I have never played a game on the PC, only on consoles. Are they any good? I don't think I've seen any screenshots.

Ultimate General Civil War is great, reminds me of an upgraded and improved Civil War Generals 2. I made the mistake during my first campaign as the Confederacy by not creating enough units for my Corps. I tended to only replenish the units that I had and, even though I had some really good, experienced units, I did not have nearly enough units on the field later on in the campaign. It was really satisfying finally being able to outfit one of my sharpshooter regiments entirely with Whitworth Rifles... took a while though but it was worth it in the end. And with the other rifles and such, you pick up some after each battle. While playing as the Confederates, I often found myself outfitting my units with captured gear where as the Union troops don't need to rely on captured goods as much.

Back