U.S. Army & Militia Canteens 1776-1910

major bill

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
To help me understand Civil War canteens I was thinking about buying Mike O'Donnel's U.S. Army & Militia Canteens 1776-1910. It is a bit pricey (lowest price on Able Used books is$275.70) and since I have never seen this book except in plastic wrap I am not sure how good the Civil War coverage is. If anyone on the forum has this book, is it worth the cost? right now bookfinder.com has a copy for $58.90 while some other books on the same sight go for $350 so I might need to move fast as the second lowest cost one is $177.

Last edited:
Some other possibilities.

51+hNwyJFdL._SX372_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51EUdcuQM4L._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

To help me understand Civil War canteens I was thinking about buying Mike O'Donnel's U.S. Army & Militia Canteens 1776-1910. It is a bit pricey (lowest price on Able Used books is$275.70) and since I have never seen this book except in plastic wrap I am not sure how good the Civil War coverage is. If anyone on the forum has this book, is it worth the cost? right now bookfinder.com has a copy for $58.90 while some other books on the same sight go for $350 so I might need to move fast as the second lowest cost one is $177.

Keep looking, copies can be had for much lower prices.

51JaLcH3c8L._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Here is a copy for $35.00.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338579798&icep_item=172488570315

51JaLcH3c8L._SX384_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I mainly purchase books about uniforms but am thinking of a canteen book. Do I need all three books or would just one book supply most of the material I could use? If I buy all three books I will have to pass on a book about US. Marine uniforns.

You might consider trying inter-library loans, if available, to see if the books are what you want to purchase. I sometimes check the more expensive books before breaking the limited budget.

I am retired and have several pensions from various jobs. I use a tiny bit of my Federal Army retirement to buy books, but try to keep the cost reasonable.

I am retired and have several pensions from various jobs. I use a tiny bit of my Federal Army retirement to buy books, but try to keep the cost reasonable.
Having had to take my Social Sec. early because of health problems, I understand having to limit purchases for books and other hobby related items. Having been an adjunct professor at a small college, I do have access to books from college libraries through Ohiolink which has been a great help to me.

I mainly purchase books about uniforms but am thinking of a canteen book. Do I need all three books or would just one book supply most of the material I could use? If I buy all three books I will have to pass on a book about US. Marine uniforns.
O'Donnell's book IMO is the best of the three, though it is limited as only focusing on militia and US, so if there is an interest in Confederate, it lacks depth. Due to the large militia coverage though, it does show many Southern examples.

Last edited:
Back