Twelfth regiment N.G.S.N.Y.

Michael O'Neil

Private
Hi folks - been a while since my last post from Limeyland but I've been plugging away in the background. Anyhow I've come up with a bit more info about one of my ancestors.

Felix J. O'Neil b1839 Ireland, died 1882 New York City.

His obit reads:
“friends and members of companies I and K, Twelfth regiment N.G.S.N.Y. are invited to attend the funeral”

Lo and behold he appears in Dowley's History and Honorary Roll (1869) as a Corporal of I Company with date of warrant given as 27-08-1867. Unfortunately this date is post Civil War so I can't be sure if he saw service during the Civil War.

I can't find any info for Felix on any musters for this regiment during the CW so does anyone know how I'd go about or where to go for post CW to see if he'd been in another regiment prior to his 1867 commission date?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Michael (Liverpool UK).

65th New York: O'NEIL, F E L I X . — P r i v a t e , Co. E, 'Sixty-seventh Infantry; transferred to Co. E, this regiment, September 1, 1864; deserted, September, 1864.

67th New York: O ' N E I L , F E L I X . — Age, 24 years. Enlisted at Brooklyn, to serve three years, and mustered in as private, Co. E, June 13, 1864; transferred to Co. E, Sixty-fifth Infantry, September 1, 1864.

http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/rosters/rostersinfantry.htm

Cheers ErnieMac. That one has always intrigued me because of the right name and age however it's the Brooklyn enlistment location that has put me off. I know the family lived lower east side of Manhattan (Madison Street) - the earliest Brooklyn association wasn't until 1871 through a brother. Anyhow I suppose I'll have to order the record to rule it out rather than in.

Incidentally the record for the 65th states deserted September 1864 yet the index info in the US Civil War Soldier Records and Profiles 1861-1865 states mustered out 15 Sep 1864.

I do have another possibility - 2NY Heavy Artillery. Only reason I include this is there's an occupation listed - "Tavern Keeper". I know for a fact that my Felix was a saloon owner on Chambers Street from 1860-1882 - and there's only 3 or so Felixes listed in all of the city directories for this era - so name and occupation seems like a good match or a coincidence? Thing that puts me off is the age given as 28 - I can't see any reason for this as he would have been 22 so no reason to lie.

Anyhow cheers for the info - I'll order the record and see what it throws up if anything.

Back