Turkey Enchiladas - Modern

Blessmag

Captain
Another use for left over Turkey. In my house we plan as much for this as for the actual turkey dinner.

Left over Turkey-I prefer dark meat (that's another thread)- chopped or small chunks
Chopped onions
Grated cheese at least 2 cups and I prefer finely grated.
Flour tortillas - package of 10 minimum.
Enchilada sauce (we use mild but variable)
Chili beans (or your favorite bean-kidney, etc.)
Tomatoes (another time Rotel comes in handy)
Sour Cream
Guacamole

Bring tortillas to room temp to ease in rolling them up.

Spray 9 x 11 glass Pyrex to prevent sticking.

Combine meat and cheese and onions
Place mixture in tortilla and roll up
Place rolled up tortilla with mixture in glass ware
Pour can of beans over top
Pour Enchilada sauce over top

Bake 350 for 20 minutes minimum

Serve with the tomatoes, sour cream and guac. Serve with chips for additional crunch.

Another option is to not roll them up, but layer the tortillas like a form of lasagna. layer tortillas, meat mixture, tortilla, beans, tortillas, meat, etc. Add toppings. May also add additional cheese on top.

One great thing about this, you can spice, or not, to your heart's desire. Add diced chili's or multiple types of cheese or peppers or you name it.

Another use for left over Turkey. In my house we plan as much for this as for the actual turkey dinner.

Left over Turkey-I prefer dark meat (that's another thread)- chopped or small chunks
Chopped onions
Grated cheese at least 2 cups and I prefer finely grated.
Flour tortillas - package of 10 minimum.
Enchilada sauce (we use mild but variable)
Chili beans (or your favorite bean-kidney, etc.)
Tomatoes (another time Rotel comes in handy)
Sour Cream
Guacamole

Bring tortillas to room temp to ease in rolling them up.

Spray 9 x 11 glass Pyrex to prevent sticking.

Combine meat and cheese and onions
Place mixture in tortilla and roll up
Place rolled up tortilla with mixture in glass ware
Pour can of beans over top
Pour Enchilada sauce over top

Bake 350 for 20 minutes minimum

Serve with the tomatoes, sour cream and guac. Serve with chips for additional crunch.

Another option is to not roll them up, but layer the tortillas like a form of lasagna. layer tortillas, meat mixture, tortilla, beans, tortillas, meat, etc. Add toppings. May also add additional cheese on top.

One great thing about this, you can spice, or not, to your heart's desire. Add diced chili's or multiple types of cheese or peppers or you name it.
I really like enchiladas, in all ways and forms, a good way of using up leftovers, or getting a nice heart dish on the table quickly!

This is somewhat similar to my typical version, though we tend to simplify a bit around here. The beans, sour cream, and guacamole aren't included (sour cream especially is something we skip every time). Enchiladas are always flat (burritos are rolled), and we heat the tortillas on a comal (a round cast iron griddle made specifically for through purpose). If you don't have Pyrex, ceramic is equally good (never use metal).

I'm personally a white meat guy, but I acknowledge I'm in the minority on that. The onions are vital and the Rotel is definitely a staple, but instead of enchilada sauce, I personally prefer a thick red chile sauce. We just got out of fresh roasting season, so I have plenty of my dried pod-made sauce (which is a big ark afternoon project), but if you lack that, there's a simple recipe from red powder (the hotter the better):

Depending how thick you want to get, stir 2-4 tbsp. of flour and an equal quantity of olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat for about five minutes to form a roux. Add 1/2 cup of red chile powder and 2 1/2 cups, at least one finely chopped garlic clove (or 2+ tsp. of garlic powder), and 1/2 tsp. of salt. Stir constantly until near-boiling, then drop heat to low, cover, and simmer for about three minutes. Stir out any lumps and let it cool.

Unless you happen to be in New Mexico and can get it from The Shed in Santa Fe or Duran's in Albuquerque, avoid pre-made chile in jars; there's some very good ones, but for enchiladas they tend to be far too thin.

Also, because I'm a Norteño, I tend to prefer white cheeses. Jack is common, and white cheddar works well, but I'm really weird and like the gooey stringiness of mozzarella.

@IcarusPhoenix, that is a great recipe! There is nothing like real food. :D You should put one of your recipes on our states recipes thread for New Mexico!
I've been meaning to put up a few for a while now, particularly a lot of my New Mexican and non-New Mexican baking recipes. Hopefully I can take a few hours on a free day sometime soon and type a bunch up.

Back