Trying To Locate Ancestors Regiment

Im trying to figure out what regiment my ancestor was in? I am an 8th generation Texan and I know at the time we were known as McNeese. I am stuck on the internet. Ive tried ancestory.com and the pension site. Anyway, someone could lend me a hand?? :shrug:

TexasRebel1980 said:
Im trying to figure out what regiment my ancestor was in? I am an 8th generation Texan and I know at the time we were known as McNeese. I am stuck on the internet. Ive tried ancestory.com and the pension site. Anyway, someone could lend me a hand?? :shrug:

First, you have to know where he was from, prefereably where he was living when he signed up. Without that, you've got about 70,000 names to look through.
Ole

Once you have the county or group of counties tied down, you can go to the regimental histories of the Texas regiments and that should tell you which counties comprised that particular regiment. Most by now have rosters in the histories. Simply do a Google search for a particular regiment such as 4th Texas Infantry. The other move is to request his records from the national archives. You'll need to request the form via internet, fill it out and send a check. If you are near the state archives, you may be able to get record copies there. They should be able to search by soldier's name without the regiment being indentified.

Texas Reb, you wrote: "known as McNeese". This leads me to wonder if you haven't done the genealogy, which, alas is the first step. You have to know more or less exactly who you're after. Better tackle that Aunt before she gets away!

TX Reb. Do you at least have a first name? I come up with nine McNeese that were from TX in the civil war. Three were in infantry and the rest Cavalry and none of them listed there residences. A first name is a must.

Only thing close is a T. W. McNeese and it would be a guesss that he went by a middle name and that (in this case) the W stood for William. There were two of them which was probably the same soldier enlisting in one regt and then reelisting in another. Anyways, the two regts are the 21st Cav., Co. F and the other is Terrell's Cav. (no company given).

B. F. McNeese (First_Last)Regiment Name Grey's Co., 37 Texas CavalrySide Confederate Company Soldier's Rank_In Private Soldier's Rank_Out Private Alternate Name Notes Film Number M227 roll 25

This was taken from the NP Service CW Soldiers & Sailors System. I got the first and middle name after talking with my aunt.

Jeremy

TexasRebel1980, I have Ancestry . com. I looked in 1860 census under Mcneese for Texas. I found a William Mcneese in Panola County, but was age 10. Let me know if you, or anybody else here at CWT needs a lookup.:smile:
Roger

Hi Texaswildcat, I couldn't find any Mcnellans in Soldier Search, although I did find a Joachim McNallen (74th Pennsylvania Inf). I'm trying to narrow down what I found in the census from 1800's up to 1930 in PA:

What is a first name of a Mcnellan ancestor who would be in the census records (born before 1930)?
Do you know what county or town he lived in?
Roger

Crud, sorry but I don't have a first name, but the town the family would have lived in would be Harrisburg Pennsylvania, hopefully that will help

Texas 80 Reb
Haven`t purused the notes people have written in help, but I just recieved a book that the title may interest you. It`s called "Peculiar Honor". It`s a dissertation really more than a book. It has some statistical data but very good. I have just started it so I really can`t comment yet. All I now know from this book [and vacationing in the lone star last Oct. Dove Hunting], is that Texans don`t like to walk. Getting Texans to give up thier horses and become INF. was next to impossible. Was that what made the texas INFY. units Lee had so mean.

Gauss

Ps.Peculiar Honor
M.Jane Johansson
Univ. of Ark. Press 1998
ISBN 1-55728-504-7

18th, Tx, Vol,
Have finished fore mentioned book, No they don`t like their, "Horses Yanked", and showed thru some bits of muntiny later on in their careers. A fine unit that gave it all when asked to do so. Had little fighting thru the vicksburg fiasco. They did learn to march though and were named "The Grey hounds" due to thier ability to "Press On".
At one time achieveing 45mils, in 36hrs. Surpassing Thomas Jackson during his valley campaign. After bad times at "Milliken Bend" and a couple others of Gen. Taylor`s design, they returned to the lone star after being beaten up in LA.
After their discharge: Col. Randel[61-63] did not suvive, 60% of line officers didn`t either. Along with "Normal" stat`s more were lost to desease[SP] than combat.

I, Quit

Gauss

Back