Trying to identify the uniform in this tintype. Is this a cadet uniform post Civil War?

Majalu72

Cadet
Uniform Tin TYpe.jpeg

Lovely image @Majalu72 Is he a relative of yours?

Interesting - the slit in bottom of the trouser leg ......my son and his age group probably thought they invented that. :bounce:

Has anyone seen a split trouser leg in an image earlier than this one?

Sorry but I can not concur with the 1885-pattern dress coat (frock coat). The 1885-pattern coat had the branch trim go all the way around the collar. The 1872 -pattern dress coat had the branch color go only part way around the collar. The photograph seems to show the branch color going only part way around. The pattern 1872 also had a cord around the remaining top and bottom. You can see where the branch colored patch ends and the cord can be seen at the top of the collar. The belt loops on the rear of the coat was removed in 1884 and some call these pattern-1884 dress coats, but in this case we can not see the rear of the coat.

Some interesting things in the image: 1. The image is reversed. 2. The soldier is not wearing the sheet brass 1/2 regimental numbers on his collar. The letters were discontinued in 1884, but many photos show that the numbers were not always worn in the 1872-1874 time frame. 3. Note at this time the sleeve slashes were not functional so the flap flash (branch colored patch on the sleeve cuffs) were usually set at the edge of the sleeve cuffs, but a few coats had the flash was set a bit above the sleeve cuff. 4. You can also barely see the coat skirt pocket in this image (look to the right side level with the bottom coat button.

Also the 1885 trousers had a bit of a flare to the leg bottom so the trousers in the image, to at least me, appear to be more like the 1872 pattern trousers. The fit of the trousers changed in 1876, 1882 and 1884. One should note that the men could also tailor there uniforms and telling the 1872 pattern trousers from the 1876, 1882 , and 1885 pattern trousers is not easy. Please note I an not an expert on army trousers of this period and can not insure if the trousers are 1872-pattern, 1876-pattern, 1882-patter or 1884 pattern. I would need to do a fair amount of research to try to narrow don the year of the trousers.

Last edited:
There are uniform experts that say they can tell the various pattern trousers by how the trouser legs are cut and tailored. I myself see enough variation in different trousers of the same pattern that about all I can do is guess if the trousers are earlier or later in nature.

Look at the collars on the 1872n coat on the top and the 1885 coat on the bottom. Also note the 1872n pattern usually had a slightly higher collar and note the insignia on the collar of the 1872 coat.

coat 77l.jpg
coat 77.jpg

I spoke with a Historian at APG, MD. He said it appears to be an M1872 coat. But also mentioned that this style was used up until 1899. But since it is a tintype, most likely 1870's.

The 1885 regulations had the branch color go all around the collar. One of the problems is that many states had Thierry militias wear uniforms based on the current Army Regulations. So if the mail tiaras got a new coat in 1884 of tithe old style they would have worn it about 5 or 6 years until they replaced it.

No, it is of the style worn from 1872 to 1885 or enen a bit later in the National Guard. I have a feeling based on the trousers that it is more mid 1870s than early 1880s, but that is still open to study.

Back