NF Trying to find a Book, Confederate writings the cause of war in their own words.

Non-Fiction

someuglydude

Cadet
There is a book that came out I believe in the 1960's or 70's? Almost the entire book, except for the preface basically, consists of southern writings. Mainly related to the cause of the war. As I recall it's quite damning of the southern cause, because it makes the motivations for their secession very clear.

I know I have seen this book before and read part of it. I would LOVE to find it again, but I haven't had any luck on google.

If anyone has any idea of the book I would be very grateful.

Thanks

There is a book that came out I believe in the 1960's or 70's? Almost the entire book, except for the preface basically, consists of southern writings. Mainly related to the cause of the war. As I recall it's quite ****ing of the southern cause, because it makes the motivations for their secession very clear.

I know I have seen this book before and read part of it. I would LOVE to find it again, but I haven't had any luck on google.

If anyone has any idea of the book I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Would this happen to be the 1 you are looking for or theres another that is out there as well..

The Causes of the Civil War
and
What caused the Cival War:Reflections on the South and Southern History
and this here may be the 1 you saw,,
Causes Of The Civil War
The Events That Caused The American Civil War
Causes Of The Civil War Summary
States’ Rights
The Missouri Compromise
The Dred Scott Decision
The Abolitionist Movement
Abolitionist John Brown
John Brown’s Raid On Harpers Ferry
Slavery In America
Harriet Tubman
Underground Railroad
Harriet Beecher Stowe
Uncle Tom’s Cabin
Secessionism
Abraham Lincoln’s Election

The Declarations of Causes authored by the various conventions called by the seceding states lay out the reasons for their secession very clearly. They are available online.

Thanks for the response.

No unfortunately the book is not explicitly about what caused the war. It is not a fact based narrative on the causes of the war.

95% of the book, or probably 99% of it consists of letters and memoirs of southerners during the war.

The book is basically just a compendium of letters and memoirs of Confederate civilians, soldiers, and some of the politicians, etc. They give their thoughts on slavery and the war.

There is no writing from the author, except for the preface perhaps. The author just compiled the writings from various southerners.

Probably no one is going to find the book at this point.

Thanks for trying.

That is not the book, although that is the closest I have seen to what I am looking for so far.

I would still like to find the book I read years ago if possible. Hopefully I will stumble upon it eventually.

Apostles of Disunion may serve my purposes in the meantime. It is only a few dollars, so I will have to order it and see.

Thanks

Back