Toy Soldiers

Bob171

Sergeant
Annual Winner
I wonder how many members here grew up in the 60's and 70's and owned play sets from Marx and Britians? I am sorry to report that my Marx soldiers are gone but I did find a few of my Britians (thanks to my mom).

CSATrooper_zpsc7e4c8a3.jpg

I had a Marx, Blue and Gray playset when i was a kid. Wish i still had it !

I had earlier WWII sets by Marx but the Blue and Gray playset fascinated me. Which is interesting because I grew up with WWII dominating movies and TV (Combat, Rat Patrol, Dirty Dozen, etc...) but the American Civil War themed play set was my all time favorite. I think I'll take a look at eBay and see what the going rates are.

b10_zps8e657595.jpg

My family moved into our new house in 1960 when I was 6 years old. The older boy next door had grown tired of his blue and gray "Army men"and was using shears to decapitate them. I asked if I could have them instead and he agreed. They formed the basis of my collection. A few years later, a big (to us, back then) store called Toy Barn took over an abandoned grocery store building in the neighborhood. They had a huge Civil War play set with a fort, Burnside's bridge, cannons, mounted cavalry, and EVERYTHING. I didn't even dare to ask my parents because I knew it was too expensive but I went to visit it everyday. Then on Christmas morning, there it was. Those men are long gone now but the memory of the joy I had playing with them ( rubber bands were cannonballs-set 'em up, then knock 'em down again, over and over.) Some GIs, Germans, and "dirty Japs" may have time traveled and participated in the battles as well. I believe that these toys as well as Life magazine centennial issues full of period photographs formed the basis of my fascination (obsession?) with the Civil War.

My brother had some. Don't know what maker. I also remember the summer we lived in Nashville we would visit with and were babysat by the CG of the Confederate High Command and his wife. He had a real set-up like an electric train set and recordings to listen to while playing with it! My brother loved that.

I used to have the Marx Blue & Gray set, it was my all time favorite. also had Fort Apache and a WW2 set as well.
About age 12 - 13 started painting metal soldiers. Then at 14 I began getting into sports, girls, dirt bikes then cars and all that other stuff just kind of went away. ( I think Mom gave it away during my college years ) About 15 years ago I started to get into the metal toy soldiers again, Britains, Conte, FrontLine, King & Country etc. I don't attempt to paint them anymore so I buy sets already completed, my aging eyes wouldn't stand the strain. Don't tell the wife, but I figure I've spent over $3,000 on my "toys". BTW, a company has bought the rights for some of those old Marx sets, they go for $200 & up.

It's not just that the diorama's are great - the photography is great too! I like the "you-are-there" point of view. Nice work.
thanks brother.. it was a fun project. I collected my Brittains in the 80s, (maybe even into the 90s). I also collected the American Indians & German (Wehrmacht) guys.. Do you know if they had those line-ups back in the 70s (?)

ps- here are a couple more shots I had on my camera, check out the little streak of blood I added on the downed horse.. peace

downed_horse.JPG
Uni.orchard.JPG

Back