Tintype Civil War Zouave Hussar or foreign soldier ??

TNcollector

Private
IMG_0129.PNG
I wanted to get everyone's opinion on this image. Is he a Zouave from the American civil war or some type of foreign solider ? Thanks in advance for your time.

Thanks, Rob

I'm the worst member to answer- someone will genuinely helpful will see this some time today. I was thinking I never saw a Zouave uniform like this then remembered how varied they could be. Then I thought the mustache seemed post war, and nope, thought of a few notable, droopy mustaches from the era. Better quit while not ahead and wait for the experts. :giggle:

Appears to be a tintype in an embossed card. These were quite popular in the 1865-1875 era or so.... His coat appears to be what is commonly known as a Sack Suit coat.... civilian clothing item... popular in the same time frame... Unfortunately cant see enough details on the cap to get a good fix on the exact pattern type, but also popular with the French... May or may not be a military issue kepi cap... Many period fraternal orders and local official vocations donned military looking uniform items as well... Nothing visible in the image to readily confirm the subject was actually in military service.... on either side of the pond...

Thanks everyone for your responses. I was thinking he might could be a variety of things but didn't know if some one here might possibly recognize is hat or something.

Appears to be a tintype in an embossed card. These were quite popular in the 1865-1875 era or so.... His coat appears to be what is commonly known as a Sack Suit coat.... civilian clothing item... popular in the same time frame... Unfortunately cant see enough details on the cap to get a good fix on the exact pattern type, but also popular with the French... May or may not be a military issue kepi cap... Many period fraternal orders and local official vocations donned military looking uniform items as well... Nothing visible in the image to readily confirm the subject was actually in military service.... on either side of the pond...
I clicked the image to enlarge it which brings the cap into better focus. Anyone wonder why he has a coat on under his shirt, or is that an illusion?

I have an image from 1874 encased in a similar card. It has a patent date on it. I'd have to look it up, but I think it was 1859.

I think he is a civilian as well. The cap is worn in a jaunty and decidedly unmilitary angle. I agree they look like 1870s lapels on his coat. The vest under the shirt is inexplicable.

Back