Three excellent video tours of Gettysburg by Matt Atkinson

kholland

Captain
Retired Moderator
This is an excellent tour of Devil's Den by Gettysburg Guide Matt Atkinson. I have seen three of his tours on YouTube and they are funny (with an occasional reference to classic rock groups), and give good insight into the battle.

This is the link of Matt's tour of The Peach Orchard that Mike posted a couple of years ago on this forum.
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/the...g-with-nps-ranger-matt-atkinson-video.104334/

Here is Matt's tour of Little Round Top.

Thanks, Ken! I have watched all three a couple of times each--I really like Matt's humor and presentation style. I was lucky enough at the very beginning of the ranger talks this spring to show up for the LRT talk with Matt, and be the only one in the "group!" It was more like a chat than a talk, but it was nice to be able to have a one-on-one tour with him.

I also saw he and his wife out spraying for mosquitoes in the marshy areas of the Triangular Field last week when I was out. As I walked away, I overhead him saying in a drawl, "Well, I just saw my first snake of the day." Hope he wasn't talking about me!:smile:

I enjoy watching his talks on YouTube and I wish there were more. They are a great fix for when I can't get to Gettysburg. I also enjoy his sense of humor and I like the way he explains the battle. In July, I drove past him giving a talk to a group and for me it was like seeing a celebrity! :smile:

Went to a campfire chat about Dan Sickles last year with him giving the talk. I agree he is very entertaining and knowledgable. Hopefully I will be able to attend a battlefield walk by him in the future.

If you want the tour to go really long, get Matt talking about the Orioles. He's a big fan and will go off on that tangent in a heartbeat, and the next thing you know a half hour has gone by.

Back