This man is (03-25-15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking you are asking about his invention? In Nov 1853, Ambrose Burnside resigned his commission in the U.S. Army and organized Bristol Rifle Works in order to manufacture his invention, the Burnside carbine.

In case you were asking for things he's known for other than the Burnside carbine - he was an apprentice tailor, partner in a tailoring business, railroad executive, industrialist, first president of the National Rifle Association, Commander in chielf of the GAR, Governor of Rhode Island, and a US Senator.

Give me a second chance, please, as I have just found out what you probably wanted to hear while looking for the sideburns form that other question.
The correct answer could also be and will now be my answer:
"He also instituted the playing of “Taps” at dusk. Which was (traditionally) named for the “last drink” of the evening at Bennie Havens’ tavern near West Point, which was known as “heeltaps.” Burnside was a regular at the tavern when he was an officer at the Academy."
From: http://rarehistoricalphotos.com/civ...usual-facial-hair-led-coining-term-sideburns/
I had not found this yesterday, because in this article he is constantly called Amrbose instead of Ambrose!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back