History "The Sloppy Joe"

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Our family loves Sloppy Joes. It is a great meal for a cold winter day, like we are having here in Ky.

According to many food historians the Sloppy Joe dates back to 1930. It was invented by a cook named Joe in a Sioux City, Iowa café., as a loose meat sandwich.

By the 1940s it was mentioned in cookbooks and food columns in newspapers. By 1969 the Manwich Sauce came into production by ConAgra and Hunts. It is used by many, including myself in making a sloppy Joe sandwich. I find it tasty and has a zing to it. As the slogan goes "A sandwich is a sandwich but a Manwich is a meal".

Sloppy Joe recipe from "The Boone County Recorder", Food Column, Jan. 5, 2017.

1 lb lean ground beef
1/4 cup finely diced onion
1/2 of a finely diced bell pepper
12 ounce bottle of chili sauce
brown sugar to taste, about 3 tablespoons

Sauté beef, onion and bell pepper until beef is cooked. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a gentle boil. Lower to simmer for a few minutes.

Our family loves Sloppy Joes. It is a great meal for a cold winter day, like we are having here in Ky.

According to many food historians the Sloppy Joe dates back to 1930. It was invented by a cook named Joe in a Sioux City, Iowa café., as a loose meat sandwich.

By the 1940s it was mentioned in cookbooks and food columns in newspapers. By 1969 the Manwich Sauce came into production by ConAgra and Hunts. It is used by many, including myself in making a sloppy Joe sandwich. I find it tasty and has a zing to it. As the slogan goes "A sandwich is a sandwich but a Manwich is a meal".
Sloppy Joes are big in our house too. We always have them open faced with a melted cheese slice on top. But lately MrsP has been filling a baked potato with sloppy Joe mixture and I love it!

Sloppy joe
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This article is about the ground beef sandwich. For the bar in Key West, see Sloppy Joe's. For the sandwich made in New Jersey, see Sloppy joe (New Jersey).
Sloppy Joe

Alternative names Wimpies, yip yips, slushburgers
Course Main
Place of origin United States
Serving temperature Hot
Main ingredients Ground beef, onions, sweetened tomato sauce or ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, seasoning, hamburger bun
Variations Multiple
A sloppy joe is a sandwich consisting of ground beef, onions, tomato sauce or ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and other seasonings, served on a hamburger bun. The dish originated in the United States during the early 20th century.

History
Early 20th century American cookbooks offer plenty of sloppy-joe type recipes, though they go by different titles: Toasted Deviled Hamburgers, Chopped Meat Sandwiches, Hamburg a la Creole, Beef Mironton, and Minced Beef Spanish Style.

Marilyn Brown, Director of the Consumer Test Kitchen at H.J. Heinz in Pittsburgh, says their research at the Carnegie Library suggests that the sloppy joe began in a Sioux City, Iowa, cafe as a "loose meat sandwich" in 1930, the creation of a cook named Joe.

References to sloppy joes as sandwiches begin by the 1940s. One example is a 1944 Coshocton Tribune ad under the heading "Good Things to Eat" says "Sloppy Joes' - 10c - Originated in Cuba - You'll ask for more - The Hamburg Shop" and elsewhere on the same page, "Hap is introducing that new sandwich at The Hamburg Shop - Sloppy Joes - 10c."

The term sloppy Joe's had an earlier definition of any cheap restaurant or lunch counter serving cheap food quickly, since 1940 or a type of casual clothing.

Food companies began producing packaged sloppy joe sauce, such as Manwich, by the 1960s.

Variations
Several variations of the sloppy joe exist in North America. In Quebec, Canada, sandwiches of stewed ground beef such as pain à la viande and pain fourré gumbo are usually served on hot dog buns. A similar sandwich, the "dynamite," exists in the area around Woonsocket, Rhode Island, and is distinguished by the use of onions, bell peppers, and sometimes celery.

Stewed meat sandwiches are common in several other culinary traditions as well. The rou jia mo, from China's Shaanxi Province, consists of stewed pork, beef, or lamb on a steamed bun. Keema pav of Indian cuisine uses a pav bread roll filled with keema, a minced, stewed, curried meat.

Ground turkey or textured vegetable protein may be used as a substitute for ground beef.

In some stores in northern New Jersey, an unrelated sandwich made with a combination of deli meat, such as turkey, roast beef or especially ham, with coleslaw, Russian dressing and Swiss cheese on three slices of rye bread is also known as a sloppy joe.

The Sloppy Joe a la Wiki

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought a wimpy was a hamburger, after Popeye's friend J. Wellington Wimpy, famous for saying "I will gladly pay you Tuesday for a hamburger today."

Wimpy was also a nickname for the British Wellington bomber of WWII.

always liked them....when I was a kid, Tuesday was hot lunch day at school..Your Choice? Hot dogs or Sloppy Joe's....I was firmly in the sloppy Joe camp...rebel that I was....Then I grew up, learned that in politics...it is good to 'cross the aisle'....and realized that Hot dogs were Ok, too...why, brave new world...I could like both (gasp)....

Sloppy Joe's be gooood. Real comfort food and easy to make (meaning I can make it, almost without a recipe).

I don't like bell peppers though and make mine more like spaghetti sauce (i.e. with some garlic). A little hot sauce is also a touch both of us like. The @RobertP cheese on top suggestion is one we've not done but will next time for sure.

No canned stuff for us! This is great! You can fudge the measurements a bit too for you likin'
Leftovers freeze well!

3 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cup ketchup
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
5 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
4 Tbs. brown sugar
3 Tbs. vinegar
3 Tbs. prepared mustard (I use Dijon)
2 tsp. chili powder (optional)
Hamburger buns

Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in large skillet. Drain and discard fat. Combine ketchup, bell pepper, and the rest of ingredients in slow cooker. Stir in ground beef. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours or high 3 to 4 hours.

Enjoy!

No canned stuff for us! This is great! You can fudge the measurements a bit too for you likin'
Leftovers freeze well!

3 pounds lean ground beef
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cup ketchup
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
5 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
4 Tbs. brown sugar
3 Tbs. vinegar
3 Tbs. prepared mustard (I use Dijon)
2 tsp. chili powder (optional)
Hamburger buns

Brown ground beef, onion and garlic in large skillet. Drain and discard fat. Combine ketchup, bell pepper, and the rest of ingredients in slow cooker. Stir in ground beef. Cook on low 6 to 8 hours or high 3 to 4 hours.

Enjoy!
Sounds like a winner.

Back