Advertisement

Continue reading the main story
brooks-circular-thumbLarge-v4.png
David Brooks

Continue reading the main storyShare This Page
  • Continue reading the main story
    Continue reading the main storyContinue reading the main story

t-icon-56px.png

This story is included with an NYT Opinion subscription.
    Learn more »

The debate about the Charleston Bible study shooting has morphed into a debate about the Confederate battle flag and other symbols of the Confederacy. This is not a trivial sideshow. Racism is not just a personal prejudice and an evolutionary byproduct. It resurfaces year after year because it’s been woven by historical events into the fabric of American culture.

More: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/26/o...&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVREMARK&_r=2

I like David Brooks, but I disagree with him on this one. Robert E. Lee fought valiantly for his beliefs, and after the war was over was a symbol of reconciliation and peace, while always maintaining his honor and dignity. I think he's a man that the South, and all Americans, can look up to and learn from, even if he wasn't the Marble Man many portray him as.

If you do what you propose with R.E. Lee, then where does it end? I do not recall Jefferson Davis being mentioned once in the article?

There must be hundreds if not thousands of streets, schools, roads, military bases, parks, etc. named after people associated with the Confederacy. I ask again, if we start with Lee, do you propose they all be changed?

There are a few individuals, both North and South, that I, personally, do not believe should have there names on public facilities (I mentioned Turner Ashby High School in an earlier post today). However, my list is very small.

It was a unique civil war at a time in a young republic (when republics were rare) that, thankfully, ended slavery (and it could has easily ended earlier with slavery intact), and proved to the world that this young "nation" does not fold easily, and has the capacity to forgive and move on.

Last edited:
The Opinion Pages | OP-ED COLUMNIST
The Robert E. Lee Problem

JUNE 26, 2015

Advertisement

Continue reading the main story
brooks-circular-thumbLarge-v4.png
David Brooks

Continue reading the main storyShare This Page

great article. Ultimately, we can't overlook the fact that Lee committed treason against the United States of America. We can find other Americans to name schools and roads after.

great article. Ultimately, we can't overlook the fact that Lee committed treason against the United States of America. We can find other Americans to name schools and roads after.
Perhaps naming buildings, institutions, roads, etc after Historical figures is impractical and "Politically Incorrect" nowadays. Seems no matter who the moniker, someone has an issue. Maybe start numbering all things public, including libraries, schools, roads, train stations, towns, dogs, cats and children...

History, as a wise fellow forum member has noted, does not stand still, it moves.

We are now in the process of deciding if history is to be factual with a true telling of it, or is history forever to be defined by those who erected such monuments in their time.

I await with interest the results of our own honest research.

Unionblue

And what do you do about Fort Lee, Va? Or any of the 10 bases that are currently named for Confederate Generals?

The Army seems to say no change in this article in the Stars and Stripes.

Here is a full list of the 10 bases currently named for Confederates:

Fort Bragg
Fort Rucker
Fort Hood
Fort Lee
Fort Benning
Fort Gordon
Fort A.P. Hill
Fort Polk
Fort Pickett
Camp Beauregard

The Army made decisions decades ago to honor these men. I think it would be a shame to change that now.

Then I guess we should not name cities for George Washington -- he committed treason against the lawful national government. Yes, I know, its different because he won -- it really has little to do with treason.

Then I guess we should not name cities for George Washington -- he committed treason against the lawful national government. Yes, I know, its different because he won -- it really has little to do with treason.
And he was a slave holder, too.

If you do what you propose with R.E. Lee, then where does it end? I do not recall Jefferson Davis being mentioned once in the article?

There must be hundreds if not thousands of streets, schools, roads, military bases, parks, etc. named after people associated with the Confederacy. I ask again, if we start with Lee, do you propose they all be changed?

There are a few individuals, both North and South, that I, personally, do not believe should have there names on public facilities (I mentioned Turner Ashby High School in an earlier post today). However, my list is very small.

It was a unique civil war at a time in a young republic (when republics were rare) that, thankfully, ended slavery (and it could has easily ended earlier with slavery intact), and proved to the world that this young "nation" does not fold easily, and has the capacity to forgive and move on.
Out of curiosity, what bugs you about Ashby in particular?

There is the little matter that he did not commit treason against the United States. Seems rather significant.

"Her father’s will (somewhat impractically) said they were to be freed, but Lee didn’t free them." I think this thought is incomplete and therefore misleading. Lee did free them, it just wasn't until 5 years later.

I actually don't have a problem with streets or schools being named after Confederate leaders. They were important figures in our nation's history. Personally, I think schools named after historical figures should use the opportunity to *correctly* teach the significant role that person played, whether good or bad. I don't necessarily see it as condoning what they did, just acknowledging what they did and how it shaped America. If they're looking to name schools after perfect people...they'll have to start doing what NYC does and give them numbers.

Article in the Richmond paper yesterday there is a movement and some discussion in the legislature to change the segments of Rt 1 that are named "Jeff Davis Hwy"

Reactions: gem
Back