Chamberlain The real victory of LRT

suzenatale

Sergeant Major
I just came across this opionion piece and I think this person is spot on. I know historians don't get it, I know they look at Little Round Top and say, well this was a little insignificant victory. But they are completly missing the point. The victory was that no one expected much out of him because he suttered, but he proved them wrong, not only by becoming a respected and influentail figure, but by becoming a beloved public speaker. And it is that victory that is inspiring.

"...What is amazing is that Chamberlain was a person who stuttered. In his youth, his father wanted him to follow in the family tradition of the military while his mother wanted him to be a minister; he knew these professions would face stumbling blocks because of his speech.​

In its “Celebrity Corner” section, the website of the Stuttering Foundation, stutteringhelp.org, has a biographical profile on Chamberlain titled “General Battled Stuttering.” The article states the phenomenon how some people who stutter are able to speak foreign languages fluently. While at Bowdoin, Chamberlain mastered nine languages besides English: French, Spanish, German, Italian, Arabic, Syriac, Latin, Greek and Hebrew.​

I think there should be extra consideration given to Chamberlain in this selection process for all he overcame in his life to distinguish himself as a Maine resident in many ways."​

https://bangordailynews.com/2015/12...more-parks-honor-chamberlain/?ref=moreInstate

The real victory of LRT was the hype associated with that fight. It didn't mean anything one way or the other but through bs and persistence it became a big deal.
tumblr_inline_mxywiyNRd41s6gli3.png

Attachments

• tumblr_inline_mxywiyNRd41s6gli3.png
    tumblr_inline_mxywiyNRd41s6gli3.png
    46 KB · Views: 35
I just came across this opionion piece and I think this person is spot on. I know historians don't get it, I know they look at Little Round Top and say, well this was a little insignificant victory. But they are completly missing the point. The victory was that no one expected much out of him because he suttered, but he proved them wrong, not only by becoming a respected and influentail figure, but by becoming a beloved public speaker. And it is that victory that is inspiring.

"...What is amazing is that Chamberlain was a person who stuttered. In his youth, his father wanted him to follow in the family tradition of the military while his mother wanted him to be a minister; he knew these professions would face stumbling blocks because of his speech.​

In its “Celebrity Corner” section, the website of the Stuttering Foundation, stutteringhelp.org, has a biographical profile on Chamberlain titled “General Battled Stuttering.” The article states the phenomenon how some people who stutter are able to speak foreign languages fluently. While at Bowdoin, Chamberlain mastered nine languages besides English: French, Spanish, German, Italian, Arabic, Syriac, Latin, Greek and Hebrew.​

I think there should be extra consideration given to Chamberlain in this selection process for all he overcame in his life to distinguish himself as a Maine resident in many ways."​

https://bangordailynews.com/2015/12...more-parks-honor-chamberlain/?ref=moreInstate
Who would have taught him Hebrew back then.i don't think Maine had a large Jewish population in the 1850.

Christian scholars had an interest in Hebrew so that they could read the bible in one of its original languages.

Here is a bit on the history of the study of Hebrew in America.
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/loc/tongue.html
Thank you, I never knew that.i know when Georgia was colonized in Savannah I knew there was a large jewish influence as one of the first colonists was a Jewish doctor who saved Oglethorpe when he became I'll several months after arriving.

I don't know, have always thought it incredibly unfair Chamberlain gets it in the neck because his corner of the field got attention. He did what he did- which takes nothing away from what anyone else did and which commemorates Oates and his men forever, too. Also would not have gotten the real story on the monument issue later if I hadn't brought it up here on forum a few years ago. Suzentale has all that history, brought me back around with the last piece on Chamberlain.

I mean come on- if you did not know it's Chamberlain, a professor runs away from his college, brilliant guy, could have avoided the war easily, then does what he did there? LRT is an amazing story. Both sides. This weird backlash thing somehow took away from what happened there. How unfair to Chamberlain, the men of the 20th Maine,83rd PA, the other regiments, Oates, the 15th Alabama and the other Confederate regiments not to mention Vincent and Warren. Read a couple bios on the guy- one was so awful, pick pick pick pick, more like an expose, I pitched it 3/4's through. Just seems so ridiculous, our genuine stories like this have been so picked at, imaginary controversies exist. Crazy!

We drive by the exit to get Bowdoin every year- haven't made the time to stop yet which is insane. Next year have every intention of stopping if I have to open the door and jump. :smile:

In my pile of books yet to read I have "Gettysburg Requiem".it is the life and lost cause of Lt.Col. William C.Oates, Glenn W. LaFontaine who has written a couple of books about LRT.I have read several books on Chamberlain so I just wanted to see one from the other side.

In my pile of books yet to read I have "Gettysburg Requiem".it is the life and lost cause of Lt.Col. William C.Oates, Glenn W. LaFontaine who has written a couple of books about LRT.I have read several books on Chamberlain so I just wanted to see one from the other side.
I don't think I ever read Gettysburg Requiem, but I had referenced here a LaFontaine piece that was excellent, but sadly the park service took it down.

Concieved in Liberty, the book stutteringhelp.org cites also has a lot on Oates.

He wrote the book "Twilight on Little Round Top" which I thought was a really good book.
I did a search for that great article I had read and I think I found it in the book "Gettysburg Heroes: Perfect Soldiers, Hallowed Ground"

I'd like to see what histories you read. Quite a bit of what I've found has glorified Chamberlain excessively, and this is still despite the fact it's not certain who actually suggested a charge. Cpt. (later General) Ellis Spear, Chamberlain's right-hand-man at Gettysburg, supported Lt. Melcher's claim that Melcher initiated the charge in Spear's writings. He believed that Chamberlain's actions at Gettysburg were exaggerated. If they weren't exaggerated then, they are definitely exaggerated now. Generally, when his actions - particularly the charge - are spoken of, most say that the charge ultimately saved the war itself. Which, while largely debatable, is extremely overdone. This is, of course, my opinion, but the whole thing seems a bit ludicrous.

I'd like to see what histories you read. Quite a bit of what I've found has glorified Chamberlain excessively, and this is still despite the fact it's not certain who actually suggested a charge. Cpt. (later General) Ellis Spear, Chamberlain's right-hand-man at Gettysburg, supported Lt. Melcher's claim that Melcher initiated the charge in Spear's writings. He believed that Chamberlain's actions at Gettysburg were exaggerated. If they weren't exaggerated then, they are definitely exaggerated now. Generally, when his actions - particularly the charge - are spoken of, most say that the charge ultimately saved the war itself. Which, while largely debatable, is extremely overdone. This is, of course, my opinion, but the whole thing seems a bit ludicrous.
Perhaps it is you who should tell me, as it sounds like you read them. I would especially like to know your source that shows Melcher saying he initiated the charge.

I do believe Mr.Hall has no idea about who you are.
Aww, thanks, that's very kind of you. But who I am doesn't mean I can't be wrong. He can see from my sig who I am if he so desires.
The state of Virginia wont even give me the dignity of reading what I have to say, so I really doubt that I am anybody.

My initial exposure to Chamberlain, like many I think, was Killer Angels. When I first joined this forum that was about the extent of my JLC knowledge, but thanks to suzenatale's posts and her web site I have learned much more. The more I learn about the entire life of JLC, not just a few hours on LRT, the more impressed I am with the total man.

Thank you @suzenatale .:thumbsup:

^^^^ This

But still if not for Gouverneur K. Warren and Strong Vincent, Chamberlain would not be there...
If nor for Lincoln, the civil war and I could go on.......
Chamberlain played what he had in front of him which is all that he could do. And he did better than a lot of others would have in that situation and that includes West Point graduates

Back