The Real Civil War Battle.. Who has the best BBQ?

Let's talk about brine. Anybody brine their ribs before cooking them? I like to brine my meat to tenderize it and let the flavors soak into the fibers. I then put a rub on the ribs and cook them in my oil-less deep fryer. This year, I'm thinking of smoking them for a little bit first, and then cooking them to done in the deep fryer. I like the taste of smoke on the meat.

Every year, I host a rib cook-off at my home for neighbors, friends and family. I won two of the last three years. I lost last year, and I hope to regain the title again this year. My plan: A brine based in sweet and hard apple cider, dill, and minced garlic; a rub based in cinnamon, all-spice, salt, white pepper, granulated garlic, and paprika; and a BBQ sauce based in apple cider vinegar, molassas, brown sugar, liquid smoke, and Worchestershire sauce.

For smoke: Applewood chips.
Always wanted to try brining, might have to give it a shot.. Does it actually add greater taste...

[

Fresh lobster, crabs.. I think New England balances out lol Mmmmmm fresh lobster roll

I hate to say it but I have never visited New England. My clients used to love to take their floating toys up there in the month of August. They raved about the cruising up there and all those NE port towns and cities. I know lobster is cheap and plentiful there and they have lobster in the ruff places where they sit around and pick lobsters much like they do blue crabs on the Chesapeake and Virginia tidewater areas. Crabs and lobsters are great but one doesn't want to don fine evening wear to dine on shellfish. I really like oyster stew and clam chowder.

In Florida we used to eat stone crab claws cold but someone once prepared them steamed like blue crabs and they were divine. I don't believe I have ever had lobster roll but I would love to try it. Every American should be proud of where they are from and every area has their local delicacies. I deeply regret not ever visiting NE and not sampling abalone and Dungeness crab when I was on the West Coast on business travel. Another thing I tried when I visited the Southwest was many things they prepare and smoke using mesquite.

This thread has triggered an great memory of a seafood omelet I had in a hotel of all places where the chef used lobster, crab, and scallops. Fantastic but one must be mindful of their limit or tolerance of iodine in that they shouldn't be a glutton and have too much of a good thing as prednisone is a hard thing to come by quickly if you don't have any and you really need it. In Japan they eat a venomous puffer fish which must be prepared by a licensed chef and basically shaved razor thin. Apparently if done wrong the diner chews twice and ......thud instant death.

On top of that it is very expensive and the people who love it say they actually experience a euphoric feeling they attribute to consuming a tiny portion of the toxins the fish contains. I like to travel and experience different things but I have no burning desire to try puffer fish.<g>

Our daughter worked part time at Diary Queen for years when in College. DQ has a good BBQ pork sandwich. The one she worked at had great biscuits for breakfast. There is nothing like a DQ ice cream cake or their fudge bars.

I know this a little off subject. She always got a discount and could bring things home at the end of the day. I love their hot fudge sundaes.

Now why do you guy add vinegar and ruin perfectly great tasting meat lol

Hey heres Rachel Rae visiting Brooks BBQ..
#!

Its a Carolina thang Wilbur6150 I suggest you try it as to come close to describing it is................. well you probably wouldn't understand. <g>

Like I said I have tried Q many places prepared many unique ways and the worst I ever ate was GREAT!

Here we had two barbecue places open up and both were excellent. One was Texas style and the other was sort of generic fusion California style. (Don't know of any other state would put avocados with ribs, or orange juice in the moppin sauce...!) The fusion came with Asian additions like teriyaki or soy bases. Surprisingly good but I don't know if it qualifies in the real true barbecue class. Unfortunately the Texas one had to close when the owner and sole pit master got sick with a strange immune system disorder that started with his skin color flaking off like it was just painted on - he's black. The spot would then turn into a nasty purple sore - poor Joe was turning purple! I'm hoping his sons will take over - they know all his secrets - but he's not sure they want to. Hope they do - great food!

you cant tell me that Nc cant cook up some good pulled pork aint no one else around that can do it like we do.
Didn't say pulled pork I've had some fantastic pulled pork in the South thats unequaled to anything in NY, but the chicken in NY is the best I've had anywhere...But, hey if its hot off the grill its all good :smile:

>My best pick for BBQ is Williamson Brothers BBQ located below the Big Chicken (Known center of the Universe) off Roswell Street in Marietta.

Happy Dance, Happy Dance. Less than an hour away, I sense a new location for date night with hubby :wavespin:

Mom's BBQ in Van Nuys, CA. Mom has won every rib cook-off between Van Nuys and Las Vegas and has the trophies and celebrity photos with signatures (including the entire Laker Team) to prove it! It is a hole-in-the-wall with a line going out the front door, so you know it is good!

Didn't say pulled pork I've had some fantastic pulled pork in the South thats unequaled to anything in NY, but the chicken in NY is the best I've had anywhere...But, hey if its hot off the grill its all good :smile:
I would have to say the same when you r hungry and its hot it taste amazing

I don't know....Country Cousins in Centerville is mighty tasty. I like Elgin, too. :smile: I'm still fond of Cooper's in Llano, where I learned to eat it off the butcher paper with light bread and lots of paper towels. OOOOOM.

Here in Jacksonville we have some good barbecue of various types, but I especially like Jenkins (there are several locations, owned by a local African-American family) where they give you slices of white bread to sop the sauce with. Mmm.

Back