The much maligned fruitcake

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
512px-Traditional_English_Fruitcake.jpg
Traditional English Fruitcake
TheMightyGrog [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Fruitcake is a holiday staple even if its dreaded by many today. Believe it or not but its been around since the Roman times - their version included pomegranates, raisins and pine nuts mixed into barley based mixture, which was more akin to a modern power bar. The modern version we know today was born in the Middle Ages when dried fruit became available in Europe. Fruitcake really took off during the 17th century when in the American Colonies they discovered that high concentrations of sugar could preserve fruits. This discovery provided an excess of candied fruit, hence making fruitcakes affordable and more popular as a result.

The tradition of making fruitcakes for special occasions such as weddings and holidays gained in popularity in the 18th and 19th centuries and due to the cost of the ingredients as it was considered a grand indulgence between the nuts, dried or candied fruit and brandy. But, as with many traditions, how this confection came to be exclusively associated with the Christmas season is still a mystery. Many speculate its holiday association comes from it being a special treat made it a go to recipe for bakers during the season. It also travels well and keeps for a long period of time which made it an ideal holiday treat to send to someone as a gift.

Most American mass-produced fruit cakes are alcohol-free today, but traditional recipes are saturated with liqueurs or brandy and often covered with powdered sugar, both apparently prevent mold. Here's my contribution to the fruitcake hall of fame, a simple and quick treat that isn't heavy and is actually enjoyed by my family and friends.

Mini Christmas Fruitcakes

Ingredients
  • 13 1/4 ounces mixed dried fruit (cranberries work especially well with the carrot cake!)
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 cup sweet sherry (brandy)
  • 1 egg (lightly beaten)
  • 16 1/2 ounces carrot cake mix
  • 1 cup sliced almonds (or pecans)
You also need 8 mini loaf pans

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Lightly grease 8 mini loaf pans. Line bases with parchment paper.
  2. Bring fruit, 1/4 cup water and oil to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 mins. Let cool, then beat in sherry and egg. Add cake mix and almonds and mix until combined. Distribute between loaf pans, smooth tops and bake for 35-40 mins, until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely in pans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Commercial fruitcake has given all fruitcake a bad name. My husband had the best fruitcake recipe I ever ate - heavy on the fruit and nuts, light on the cake, and soaked for a month in cherry brandy. It was marvelous. I haven't had it in years, but I can taste it now.

All together, now::dance:

"There were plums, and prunes, and cherries.
Raisins and currents and cinnamon, too.
There were nuts and fruits and berries,
And the frostin' was nailed on with glue.
There were caraway seeds in abundance!
'Twould give you a fine head-ache!
Would kill any man twice to be eatin' a slice
Of Mrs Hooligan's Christmas Cake!"

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

That's the chorus as I learned it back in the '50s from my from Great Uncle Pat Joyce (who was a bit in his cups -- the only time he ever enjoyed himself ... grumpy as all get-out when he was sober!). Here's the whole song and the story behind it, with slightly different lyrics. The Spinners came out with a version that I don't like in the '80s (melody's all wrong) -- it's on YouTube if you care to look for it.

Last edited:
My wife's father used to make an outstanding fruitcake but when you have eaten ones like that the only reason I would buy a commercial fruit cake is to use as a boat anchor.
Yes, when someone has had a good homemade fruitcake, there is no going back! One reason the recipe for Dad's fruitcake was so good was that it used no candied fruit, only dried fruit, and some, like apricots, that I don't think are typically part of commercially baked fruitcake recipes. And after baking, it was soaked in brandy. I think that was key, too.

Yes, when someone has had a good homemade fruitcake, there is no going back! One reason the recipe for Dad's fruitcake was so good was that it used no candied fruit, only dried fruit, and some, like apricots, that I don't think are typically part of commercially baked fruitcake recipes. And after baking, it was soaked in brandy. I think that was key, too.
If you ever saw the candied fruit that the commercial bakeries get you might pass out as they come in 30lb. Square blocks that are like a giant brick.really hard to break up unless you have those huge commercial 120qt.mixers.

With all due respect Anna Elizabeth Henry, I have seen fruitcakes which could be used as solid shot in a Napoleon twelve pounder and they tasted the same.

12_pdr_napoleon.jpg

LOL! Yes, well those nasty ones that turn up in the supermarket bakery section certainly qualify as solid shot or you can cut them into circles for hockey pucks! :tongue:

Attachments

• 12_pdr_napoleon.jpg
    12_pdr_napoleon.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 17
All together, now::dance:

"There were plums, and prunes, and cherries.
Raisins and currents and cinnamon, too.
There were nuts and fruits and berries,
And the frostin' was nailed on with glue.
There were caraway seeds in abundance!
'Twould give you a fine head-ache!
Would kill any man twice to be eatin' a slice
Of Mrs Hooligan's Christmas Cake!"

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

That's the chorus as I learned it back in the '50s from my from Great Uncle Pat Joyce (who was a bit in his cups -- the only time he ever enjoyed himself ... grumpy as all get-out when he was sober!). Here's the whole song and the story behind it, with slightly different lyrics. The Spinners came out with a version that I don't like in the '80s (melody's all wrong) -- its on YouTube if you care to look for it.

Love the song! I've never heard of it, but what a riot! :bounce:

I agree, the key is homemade fruitcake and not the mass produced ones. Ick, and to think that candied fruit comes in a 30lb slab no wonder it's gross! :sick: Even when I see the tub of that red and green stuff in supermarket it looks revolting. That's why I used dried fruit in mine.

Back