The Image: A Pre-Civil War State Dragoon Militia Coatee

Hi Everyone,

Here is the coatee I mentioned in my last post in this forum. The epaulettes have the unit number "11" on a greyish felt disk, Captain ranked, and the buttons on them are Eagle D. There is reddish material on the underside of the epaulettes. They did not necessarily come with the coatee, though they were sold at the same auction and physically associated with the coatee, but not actually on the coatee at the time.
coatee-CivilWarTalk.jpg
coatee-back.jpg
All the buttons on the coatee per se, are Eagle D buttons, back marked "Horstmann and Drucker..." and as you can see, there is gold "frogging" across the double-breasted front.

I'm trying to identify the state or city/town this coatee belongs to. There must have been troops organized in some population that wore the same uniform. Probably a more wealthy population. Like I said, I found this in Chicago, IL., but it could have come here from anywhere in the U.S. In the future, I'd like to donate it back to where it came from, to be preserved and displayed for posterity.

I'd appreciate any help anybody can give me on how I could identify this coatee. Does anybody have a clue as to where this might have come from? If you need any more info, just ask and I'll get it to you!!

Thanks!

Paul

Back