The fall of Atlanta and Lincoln’s reelection: ‘Game-changer’ or campaign myth?

In the summer of 1864, during the Civil War, the best political minds thought Abraham Lincoln’s reelection chances were slim, including Lincoln himself. The year had been especially brutal for Union forces, even compared to enormous losses of previous years, and the armies were stalled outside Petersburg, Va., and Atlanta, Ga. It was doubtful whether military victory could be attained before the Northern public gave up on the war, and this made Lincoln’s electoral defeat appear certain. Given the peace platform of Lincoln’s opponents, his loss might mean the death of the Union itself, the perpetuation of American slavery and the faltering of democracy’s prospects around the world. Then it all changed.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...hanger-or-campaign-myth/?tid=trending_strip_6

IMHO Lincoln would have likely been reelected without Atlanta, but the Atlanta victory made it much more likely.

Besides Sherman ' victory, McClellan was nominated and all this did was unite the Republican dissidents behind Lincoln.this included Horace Greeley was more against Abe then anyone.put it bluntly, they all came together at the right time.

Besides Sherman ' victory, McClellan was nominated and all this did was unite the Republican dissidents behind Lincoln.this included Horace Greeley was more against Abe then anyone.put it bluntly, they all came together at the right time.

The Northern Democrats were also divided

I agree; there were a number of events breaking Lincoln's way in the late summer and early fall of '64. Atlanta was just one of them (though a very noticeable one).

I realize the summer of 1864 had seen heavy casualties but I don't understand the pessimism of the North during this time. I wonder if it isn't exaggerated. I mean the South was obviously on its last legs. Lee was pinned down in Petersburg. Sherman was at the gates of Atlanta. The full length of the Mississippi River was under Union control. Missouri, Kentucky, Tennessee, and most of Arkansas, plus parts of Mississippi and Alabama are under Union control. Just looking at a map one could tell the North was on the verge of total victory.

But even if Lincoln had lost the election I don't think it would've have mattered. McClellan takes office March 4, 1865. Sherman by now is plowing north through North Carolina on his way to join Grant and finish off Lee. Even McClellan can't foul that victory up! McClellan would have just presided over the surrendering of the Confederate armies.

Back