The cost of blackpowder muskets/rifles...

Crazy Delawares

Sergeant
While attending the Gettysburg Remembrance Day weekend, I was talking with a store owner and he advised me that if anyone out there is thinking of buying a muzzleloader, now is the time to do so! He said due to the recent economic upheaval in Italy, those muskets that now cost $650 (thanks to Navy Arms no longer producing them) are going to sky-rocket to the neighborhood of $1,000.
Has anyone else heard of such a "thing?"

Navy Arms only imported their muskets. If Italy's economy goes South you will pay less! Basic economics. They are trying to sell what they have in inventory before it cost less for you to buy than what they paid for it. Black powder isn't produced in italy. That is a different story. I'd buy powder and caps and lead before Obama bans them.

I think he means with Pederoli taking over Euroarms, and redesigning them, prices we pay are
going to go up. Pedersoli products are top notch and premium priced. Expect prices in the US to start
at 800 Euros ($1100).

Well that certainly changes my plans. Why would I pay $1100 for a reproduction, even a good one, when I can still find a shooter original for about the same price?

Well that certainly changes my plans. Why would I pay $1100 for a reproduction, even a good one, when I can still find a shooter original for about the same price?

That is the dilemma in a nutshell. This is why there is no M-1854 Austrian Rifle reproduction
(other than Loyalist Arms) being made. You can still get an original Lorenz for under a grand
in shooting condition.

Also depends on the use you have planned for it. If you plan on live firing it the original barrel may need
to be re-lined, or replaced with a new barrel.

Muzzleloeader costs

Thanks Craig! I've since read an article that said the same thing as you. 800 Euros or $1,100 for a repro. I guess I can look at it this way, my .58 cal. 1863 Springfield Rifle which I bought 30 years ago for $225 could go for a fairly high price should I decide to sell it. I'd make back my money and then some. I suppose that the same holds true for my .69 ca. 1848 Smoothbore Springfield which I bought about 10 years ago for $425. I wonder what my pistols would go for? Oh well, I'm not ready to sell just yet.

Thanks Craig! I've since read an article that said the same thing as you. 800 Euros or $1,100 for a repro. I guess I can look at it this way, my .58 cal. 1863 Springfield Rifle which I bought 30 years ago for $225 could go for a fairly high price should I decide to sell it. I'd make back my money and then some. I suppose that the same holds true for my .69 ca. 1848 Smoothbore Springfield which I bought about 10 years ago for $425. I wonder what my pistols would go for? Oh well, I'm not ready to sell just yet.

It was about thirty five or forty years ago that the Italian repros of US Civil War models
started to become available. From what I understand they were sometimes more than an original
of the same model.

Some of the early Italian (and British) repros were actually very decent. I am looking at a
Zoli US 1841 sitting on my fireplace mantle and it is a pretty accurate reproduction. The Parker Hale
P53 Enfield long rifle sitting in my closet was also very well made. Both are at least thirty five
years old. Most of the more recently produced Italian repros have been garbage by comparison.
The exception being the Armi Sport US 1842. The 150th anniversary edition of those are
actually pretty nice. They fixed the oddly shaped ramrod for one thing.

Think of it this way. The originals in shooting condition are getting scarce, or will get scarce.
The same will happen with the rebuild projects and disassociated parts guns. Then all that will be around will
be the repros. At least Pedersoli will provide a high quality option, if their Civil War line is anything
like their other guns.

Back