The American Housewife & Kitchen Directory

Anna Elizabeth Henry

1st Lieutenant
Silver Patron
Found a very unique and fascinating cookbook with interesting household tips for anyone interested in ACW period cooking. This edition is from 1869, but the first printing was in 1863, click here to enjoy the recipes and helpful household management tips of Anne Howe. I enjoyed the art of carving section as I'm terrible at cutting meat.

One of the more odd recipes that caught my eye was for tomato pie of all things. Never heard of it but it does sound interesting. Has anyone heard of it or something similar?

Tomato Pie

Take green tomatoes, turn boiling water on them, and then let them remain in it a few minutes - then string off the skin, cut the tomatoes in slices and put them in deep pie plates. Sprinkle sugar over each layer, and a little ginger. Grated lemon peel, and the juice of a lemon, improve the pie. Cover the pies with a thick crust, and bake slowly for about an hour.

Last edited:
Hmmm...yet another use for green tomatoes besides breading and frying!

That's what I thought of too! I've only ever done the standard friend green tomatoes. I'm wondering though how sugar and ginger would taste with it though...my inner cook tells me it would take the edge off the bitterness of the green tomatoes but ginger I'm not sold on.

That's what I thought of too! I've only ever done the standard friend green tomatoes. I'm wondering though how sugar and ginger would taste with it though...my inner cook tells me it would take the edge off the bitterness of the green tomatoes but ginger I'm not sold on.
The sugar may work to compliment the ginger...it works for Ginger Snaps!!

I've made a tomato tart thingy, with a crust and mozzarella cheese, but nothing like this. I definitely don't include sugar.

Thanks for posting this! I'm off to check out the cookbook. Lord, please let there be no calf brain soup!

Then avoid the section on a whole calf head for sure :eek: Our ancestors were of the waste not want not variety judging from their cookbooks. Makes you wonder how there weren't more vegetarians back then.

Back