Thanks CWT

John Winn

Lt. Colonel
To my great surprise there was a response today to one of my posts from a person who said she was descended from my great great grandfather who I have mentioned in the past on the forum (he was a blockade runner). She found me because one or more of my posts regarding gg grandpa showed up on a Google search. She then signed up and left me a message here.

Turns out she's got some good info and still lives in Charleston where gg grandpa lived. We're now connected and are exchanging all sorts of stuff.

So, thank you CWT. I've now found a cousin I'd never have found otherwise. Another miracle of the internet. I wonder what gg grandpa would have thought of that.

Congrats. Great Story. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Congrats. Great Story. Keep us posted on what you find out.

Will do. We share a gg grandfather (she descends from the brother of my great grandmother) and it seems I know a lot more about gg grandpa but she has photos of her line going back to her great grandparents and I've never seen any of those. She's also got some letters between her great grandparents and my great grandmother so those will be really great to read. GG grandpa owned two houses in Charleston and one of them was in the family until 1968 (115 years) and my cousin says as a child she was actually in that house. I saw it from the sidewalk but it's now divided into apartments. She's got photos of the family on the steps in the 1950s.

Also, her great uncle was Chief of the Forest Service (which I knew) and she's got photos and other "stuff" associated with him which I've never seen. I researched him at one time because I am a forester and he had been a ranger in several places where I once worked in Montana. There's a stone shelter named after him on Mt. Hood here in Oregon. Anyway, I look forward to seeing what she's got about the Chief too.

Wish I'd found my cousin before I visited Charleston. Not sure if I'll ever get back now.

Back