1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free! If you aren't ready for that, try posting your question or comment as a guest!

Texas Marine Department

Discussion in 'Researching Your Civil War Ancestry' started by Peter Stines, Sep 18, 2013.

1. Peter Stines

Peter Stines Private

I am looking for images of this unit. Fred Wolfean (aka "Wolfe") was assigned to it. He ran the blockade on several ships including the "Diana" "Morning Light"

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. AndyHall

AndyHall Major

Peter, welcome aboard.

There are no images of this unit, as a unit, that I'm aware of, although there various images of individual vessels or personnel connected to it. The Texas Marine Department was a quasi-military group, under the command of the Confederate army, that was originally organized in 1861 as a means of providing transport and logistical support for the military up and down the Texas coast. Many (if not most) of the personnel assigned to it were steamboatmen or mariners of some sort in civilian life, whose wartime service really differed very little from what they'd been doing in peacetime.

I don't have references with me right now, but I'll see what else is around.

4. AndyHall

AndyHall Major

F. Wolfe started out in Co. B of the First Texas Heavy Artillery, and was later put on detached service aboard the steamer Diana, that was part of the Texas Marine Department. It gets fuzzy from there, but it looks like he nonetheless remained on the rolls of the First Texas Heavy Artillery through the war. I will pull his CSR later.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  5. Peter Stines

Peter Stines Private

I found a post war photograph of some of the officers. All in civilian attire. Wolfean (a.k.a. Wolf) mentioned the "Morning Light" "A.C. Shelton" as ships that he served on. I found an account of his running the blockade in the Galveston Daily News that was pretty detailed. I have copies of his pension (1901) and his widow's application for benefits. His grave is marked and is in Lakeview Cemetery in Galveston. I have several photos of Wolfean but none are in uniform. He found time to father about 9 children, some of those when he was over 70!

6. AndyHall

AndyHall Major

Where exactly in Lakeview? In the UCV plot?

7. Peter Stines

Peter Stines Private

Yes. His grave is with other veterans. The markers were added in the 1980's. Jack King of the Galveston group was part of the dedication. If you look at "Find a Grave" website you'll see it and other veteran's markers. His date of birth is off by one year but we hadn't confirmed it at the time.

8. AndyHall

AndyHall Major

OK, I see it now. That's the UCV plut. The stone was put there by the SCV sometime in the 1990s.

9. Peter Stines

Peter Stines Private

I have some photos of it and need to send copies to the Harold Simpson CW Research Center. If you find anything else in Wolfean's service record, let me know. I have a copy but it's rather poor quality. Would there be anything in Marine Dept. records ? Wolfean was born in Hanover Germany and came to Galveston in 1854. He was married to my great-great grandmother from 1870-1890.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)