NF Texans at Gettysburg: Blood and Glory with Hood's Texas Brigade

Non-Fiction

chellers

Lt. Colonel
Retired Moderator
Honored Fallen Comrade
texansat cwt.jpg

Joseph L. Owen & Randy S. Drais (Authors)
Fonthill Media (November 19, 2015)

UPDATE:
Texans at Gettysburg: Blood and Glory with Hood's Texas Brigade, by Joseph L. Owen and Randy S. Drais. Scheduled release January 2016 by Fonthill Media.

2nd UPDATE: According to Amazon the release date has been rescheduled for March 19, 2016.

The Texans from Hood's Texas Brigade and other regiments who fought at Gettysburg on 1-3 July 1863 described their experiences of the battle in personal diaries, interviews, newspaper articles, letters and speeches. Their reminiscences provide a fascinating and harrowing account of the battle as they fought the Army of the Potomac. Speeches were given in the decades after the battle during the annual reunions of Hood's Brigade Association and the dedication of the Hood's Brigade Monument that took place on 26-27 October 1910 at the state capital in Austin, Texas. These accounts describe their actions at Devil's Den, Little Round Top and other areas during the battle. For the first time ever, their experiences are compiled in Texans at Gettysburg: Blood and Glory with Hood's Texas Brigade.

About the Author:
I am a National Park Ranger at Lyndon B. Johnson National Historic Park in Johnson City, Texas. Having served 15 years in the U.S, Navy, I attended college at East Central University in Ada, Oklahoma receiving a Bachelor's Degree in History and a Masters Degree in Secondary Education. I taught Social Studies for eight years in Oklahoma, Texas and Oregon before changing careers to work for the National Park Service. A life long student and "arm chair historian" of the Civil War and American History, I became interested in the history of Hood's Texas Brigade and the battles they fought in. "Texans at Gettysburg: Blood and Glory with Hood's Texas Brigade" is my first book and I am currently researching and editing for an upcoming book about the reminiscences of the soldiers of Hood's Texas Brigade who fought at the battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam) on September 17, 1862.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1625450605/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

Disclaimer: This post is neither a recommendation nor solicitation by CivilWarTalk or Chellers. It is solely for informational purposes.

November 2015 is going to be a great month for books.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1611212049/?tag=civilwartalkc-20

"The Bloody Fifth": The 5th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia Hardcover – November 19, 2015
by John Schmutz (Author)

The 5th Texas Infantry―“The Bloody Fifth”―was one of only three Texas regiments to fight with Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. Much like the army in which it served, the 5th Texas established a stellar combat record. The regiment took part in 38 engagements, including nearly every significant battle in the Eastern Theater, as well as the Chickamauga, Chattanooga, and Knoxville campaigns in the Western Theater. John F. Schmutz’s “The Bloody Fifth”: The 5th Texas Infantry, Hood’s Texas Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia is the first full-length study to document this fabled regimental command. “The Bloody Fifth” presents the regiment’s rich history from the secession of the Lone Star State and the organization of ten independent east and central Texas companies, through four years of arduous marching and fighting. The 5th Texas’s battlefield exploits are legendary, from its inaugural fighting on the Virginia peninsula in early 1862 through Appomattox. At Gettysburg, the Texans suffered horrendous losses repeatedly assaulting Little Round Top’s rocky slopes, and in the Wilderness on May 6, 1864, helped save the collapsing Confederate line while “the eyes of General Lee were upon them.” But it was at Second Manassas where the regiment earned its enduring nickname by attacking and crushing the 5th New York Zouaves. Flushed with victory, the Texans pushed through the disintegrating Federal lines and outdistanced the remainder of the Brigade―as well as the rest of the Confederate army. In his official report on the battle, Gen. John Bell Hood, boasted that the 5th Texas had “slipped the bridle.” Its exploits that day earned the regiment its undying sobriquet “The Bloody Fifth.” Schmutz’s monumental regimental history, which also details the personal lives of these Texas soldiers as they struggled to survive the war some 2,000 miles from home, is based upon years of archival research that has uncovered hundreds of primary sources. Complete with photos and original maps, “The Bloody Fifth”: The 5th Texas Infantry, Hood’s Texas Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia is a significant contribution to the growing literature of the Civil War.

51bfKpKfVGL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

November 2015 is going to be a great month for books.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Bloody-Fifth-Infantry-Northern/dp/1611212049/ref=pd_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ESBP19VKTFXPDGYAYPX&dpID=51bfKpKfVGL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107,160_

"The Bloody Fifth": The 5th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia Hardcover – November 19, 2015
by John Schmutz (Author)

The 5th Texas Infantry―“The Bloody Fifth”―was one of only three Texas regiments to fight with Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. Much like the army in which it served, the 5th Texas established a stellar combat record. The regiment took part in 38 engagements, including nearly every significant battle in the Eastern Theater, as well as the Chickamauga, Chattanooga, and Knoxville campaigns in the Western Theater. John F. Schmutz’s “The Bloody Fifth”: The 5th Texas Infantry, Hood’s Texas Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia is the first full-length study to document this fabled regimental command. “The Bloody Fifth” presents the regiment’s rich history from the secession of the Lone Star State and the organization of ten independent east and central Texas companies, through four years of arduous marching and fighting. The 5th Texas’s battlefield exploits are legendary, from its inaugural fighting on the Virginia peninsula in early 1862 through Appomattox. At Gettysburg, the Texans suffered horrendous losses repeatedly assaulting Little Round Top’s rocky slopes, and in the Wilderness on May 6, 1864, helped save the collapsing Confederate line while “the eyes of General Lee were upon them.” But it was at Second Manassas where the regiment earned its enduring nickname by attacking and crushing the 5th New York Zouaves. Flushed with victory, the Texans pushed through the disintegrating Federal lines and outdistanced the remainder of the Brigade―as well as the rest of the Confederate army. In his official report on the battle, Gen. John Bell Hood, boasted that the 5th Texas had “slipped the bridle.” Its exploits that day earned the regiment its undying sobriquet “The Bloody Fifth.” Schmutz’s monumental regimental history, which also details the personal lives of these Texas soldiers as they struggled to survive the war some 2,000 miles from home, is based upon years of archival research that has uncovered hundreds of primary sources. Complete with photos and original maps, “The Bloody Fifth”: The 5th Texas Infantry, Hood’s Texas Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia is a significant contribution to the growing literature of the Civil War.

View attachment 81284
Hello, Legion Para,

If you do a search, you will find I posted this publication some time ago. Just mentioning, as we like to keep books in their proper thread and avoid duplication. Here's the link to the original post: http://civilwartalk.com/threads/the...-army-of-northern-virginia.99564/#post-871103

Respectfully,
Chellers

View attachment 81280

The Texans from Hood's Texas Brigade and other regiments who fought at Gettysburg on 1-3 July 1863 described their experiences of the battle in personal diaries, interviews, newspaper articles, letters and speeches. Their reminiscences provide a fascinating and harrowing account of the battle as they fought the Army of the Potomac. Speeches were given in the decades after the battle during the annual reunions of Hood's Brigade Association and the dedication of the Hood's Brigade Monument that took place on 26-27 October 1910 at the state capital in Austin, Texas. These accounts describe their actions at Devil's Den, Little Round Top and other areas during the battle. For the first time ever, their experiences are compiled in Texans at Gettysburg: Blood and Glory with Hood's Texas Brigade.

About the Author:
I am a National Park Ranger at Lyndon B. Johnson National Historic Park in Johnson City, Texas. Having served 15 years in the U.S, Navy, I attended college at East Central University in Ada, Oklahoma receiving a Bachelor's Degree in History and a Masters Degree in Secondary Education. I taught Social Studies for eight years in Oklahoma, Texas and Oregon before changing careers to work for the National Park Service. A life long student and "arm chair historian" of the Civil War and American History, I became interested in the history of Hood's Texas Brigade and the battles they fought in. "Texans at Gettysburg: Blood and Glory with Hood's Texas Brigade" is my first book and I am currently researching and editing for an upcoming book about the reminiscences of the soldiers of Hood's Texas Brigade who fought at the battle of Sharpsburg (Antietam) on September 17, 1862.

Disclaimer: This post is neither a recommendation nor solicitation by CivilWarTalk or Chellers. It is solely for informational purposes.
I pre-ordered it. Going to this too. Hood's Texas Brigade Association,8th Annual Civil War Symposium.

Attachments

• LongRoadHomeFlyerPRINT.pdf
    811.7 KB · Views: 256
View attachment 81280

About the Author:

The excitement builds.

View attachment 81280

About the Author:

Release/shipping delayed yet again. No date set for release either. I don't understand what's happening with this.

I'm interested in reading about the Texas Brigade & 3 Arkansas.
Can anyone fill in more about the contents?

I thought maybe someone in the TX Brigade Assc'n would have a summary.

Hello Dixie Rifles,

According to Amazon, the publishing date for Gettysburg: Blood and Glory with Hood's Texas Brigader again has been revised to March 19, 2016.
http://smile.amazon.com/Texans-Gettysburg-Blood-Glory-Brigade/dp/1625450605/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1451259211&sr=1-1&keywords=Texans+at+Gettysburg:+Blood+and+Glory+with+Hood's+Texas+Brigade

As mentioned in a previous post, author Joseph Owen @RangerJoe is a member of our forum so you may try sending him a PM.

Chellers

Also note that the publishing date for The Bloody Fifth was also set back to February 19, 2016 according to Amazon.

The price has also gone up a bit since I pre-ordered, so to those who haven't yet and thinking of pre-ordering, ya might want to wait until the price drops back down to $30.00 or less. :wink:

A new more in-depth history on the 3rd Arkansas needs to be written. Collier's book just isn't enough.

41uqFRf6NML._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Attachments

• 41uqFRf6NML._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    41uqFRf6NML._BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 29
the publishing date for Gettysburg: Blood and Glory with Hood's Texas Brigader again has been revised to March 19, 2016.

Oh, rats. Having pre-ordered the book, I guess the optimist in me should be reminded that good things come to he/she who waits! I'll be patient....

The 3rd ARK Inf joined Hood's Texas Brigade in November 1862. The Brigade consisted on the 1st,4th and 5th TX Inf and 3rd ARK Inf from then until the surrender at Appomattox. Kind of hard to do a summary. They fought in many major battles.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/qkh02

Back