Taking the Burnside Bridge

John Hartwell

Lt. Colonel
Forum Host
antietam-burnside-bridge-4-gardner-then-and-now-l.jpg

Burnside Bridge in 1862, and as it appears today
[http://swevans.com/burnside-bridge-at-antietam-gardner-then-and-now-2015/]
In the late summer of 1862, the 2nd Brigade, 2nd Division of Burnside’s IX Corps was under the command of General Edward Ferrero. The brigade consisted of the 51st Pennsylvania, 51st New York, and 21st Massachusetts regiments, who had been serving together for over a year, with, on occasion, a fourth regiment added. At this time, the fourth regiment was the 35th Massachusetts, which only reached the scene after the bridge was taken. They had seen heavy fighting that August and September, at Second Manassas, Chantilly, and South Mountain, during the last of which, Division Commander Gen. Jesse Reno had become the victim of friendly fire.

As the Division belatedly approached Sharpsburg, near noontime on Sept. 17th, the 2nd Brigade was assigned the task of seizing the bridge over Antietam Creek, that later came to be known as the Burnside Bridge. Other troops had preceded them, and were repulsed with heavy casualties, and the ground was already littered with the dead and wounded. The narrative of how the bridge was finally taken, is taken up by Capt. Charles F. Walcott, Co. B, 21st Massachusetts Infantry:

"The bridge was very narrow, being only wide enough for four men to pass abreast, and the creek was supposed to be unfordable. On our side of the creek, at the foot of the higher land from which we descended for the assault, open, undulating fields stretched on both sides of the road: the other bank presented a steep hill-side, rising precipitously from the water on the left of the road (as we faced), and on the right cut into by a wooded ravine: the rebel bank to the left of the road was also covered with thick woods near the water. On the hill-side, a few yards above the bridge, there was a heavy stone wall running parallel with the stream, and in the woods and at the turns of the road as it wound up the hill were rifle-pits, and breastworks of rails and stones, all making an excellent cover for the rebel riflemen defending the passage. Take it altogether, it was an exceedingly difficult place to carry by assault, and the five hundred poor fellows, dead or cruelly wounded, who lay in front of it served as powerful remonstrants against the practicability of the attempt.

"The artillery opened with canister to cover our advance, as the three regiments moved down upon the bridge with steady ranks, and, taking position close along the stream, commenced a rapid fire by file upon the rebel cover. The first position taken by the 21st was to the left of the road, and on the left of the 51st Pennsylvania, who were directly in front of the bridge with the 51st New York on their right. The bank opposite the 21st was covered from the water's edge with a thicket of brush and trees, presenting a mass of foliage impenetrable to the eye: after firing from twenty to thirty rounds into the wall of shining leaves, into which six pieces of artillery were at the same time pouring canister over our heads, doubtless helping to keep the enemy quiet, but seriously wounding two of our men, the 21st were moved across the road to the right of the 51st New York, who were at the same time drawn in a little closer to the 51st Pennsylvania. This passage, of not more than five hundred yards, was made by the flank on the double-quick through a withering fire from the rebel sharp-shooters, secure in their entrenchments, which dotted the field around us with little puffs of dust as the hissing bullets entered the ground; and the pierced bodies of more than twenty of our little band marked the path by which we had made it.

"On reaching our new position, we joined in with the two 51sts in a desultory sharp-shooting fire as the rebels showed their heads, for ten or fifteen minutes, keeping the enemy comparatively quiet. Then came the order to charge; the response was worthy Reno's old brigade; the color-bearers started on the run for the bridge (the colors of the 51sts side by side, and a hundred yards nearer the bridge than ours), and the three regiments with a fierce shout crowded towards the narrow passage; but before the colors of the two 51sts had touched the long disputed bridge the panic stricken rebels left their cover and fled, all but the devoted leader of their nearest regiment, who ran down to the edge of the bank, and with a cry of defiance shook his sword in the faces of our men for a moment, and then fell pierced by a dozen bullets*.

"The bridge was won at last, and the veterans of Reno's old brigade are entitled unquestioned to the honor of its capture. The two 51sts immediately passed over the bridge without further opposition, while the 21st, who had nearly exhausted their ammunition in the heavy fusilade upon the peaceful foliage opposite our first position, were halted for a few minutes to allow the men to collect cartridges from the boxes of our dead and wounded; then we passed over the bridge which several thousand of our corps (infantry and artillery) were now hurrying to cross. When over the bridge the brigade, now joined by the 35th Massachusetts, took position in a ravine on the right of the road, which the rebels soon began to enfilade with artillery posted on high land on our right: a fragment of the first shell that I noticed pass down the ravine struck in the head and instantly killed the gallant Lieutenant-Colonel Bell of the 51st Pennsylvania, a worthy companion in arms and command to its loved and distinguished commander Colonel Hartranft."

Capt Wolcott notes:
"This heroic officer was Lieutenant-Colonel Holmes, commanding the 2d Georgia regiment. Well might General Toombs say of him, as he did in his official report, 'Lieutenant-Colonel Holmes, who commanded the Second Georgia Volunteers, fell near the close of his heroic defense of the passage of the Antietam; and it is due to him to say that, in my judgment, he has not left in the armies of the republic a truer or braver soldier."'

The 21st Mass. had taken into action that day only 150 men, of whom 10 were killed in action, and 35 were wounded (of which 14 subsequently died of their wounds).

Last edited:
The following map shows troop positions at 1:00 p.m. It is part of the 1904 series of maps prepared from information gathered by Ezra Carman and published by the Antietam Battlefield CBoard. The 51st Pennsylvania is shown as having crossed Antietam Creek and is moving to the right after having crossed the bridge. The 51st New York is shown on the bridge moving across and the 21st Massachusetts is still on the east bank to the left of the bridge.

Crossing the Bridge.png

The following map shows troop positions at 1:00 p.m. It is part of the 1904 series of maps prepared from information gathered by Ezra Carman and published by the Antietam Battlefield CBoard. The 51st Pennsylvania is shown as having crossed Antietam Creek and is moving to the right after having crossed the bridge. The 51st New York is shown on the bridge moving across and the 21st Massachusetts is still on the east bank to the left of the bridge.

View attachment 122749

Hey Ernie, are these 1904 maps available on line anywhere?

View attachment 122749
Yes, that illustrates exactly the text at one precise moment: the 21st Mass. "halted for a few minutes to allow the men to collect cartridges from the boxes of our dead and wounded; then we passed over the bridge which several thousand of our corps (infantry and artillery) were now hurrying to cross. When over the bridge the brigade, now joined by the 35th Massachusetts, took position in a ravine on the right of the road" ... on the map, you see the 35th hurrying down towards the bridge, and the 21st, cartridge boxes now replenished, just about to slip over ahead of them.

Last edited:
And here is the link to the 1904 edition.
https://www.loc.gov/item/map05000006/

It is also possible to obtain hard copies of the map series from the LOC.
It is expensive but they are an invaluable resource when exploring the battlefield.
If you have a unit of particular interest you can talk to the Rangers during your visit and they will furnish you a copy of the portion of the map detailing the unit's movements during the fight. I availed myself of this resource earlier this week to walk the route of the 3rd AK and 27th NC of Manning's brigade took assaulting French's right flank as a part of the fight at the Sunken Road.
I cannot say enough good things about the staff at Sharpsburg.

It is also possible to obtain hard copies of the map series from the LOC.
It is expensive but they are an invaluable resource when exploring the battlefield.
If you have a unit of particular interest you can talk to the Rangers during your visit and they will furnish you a copy of the portion of the map detailing the unit's movements during the fight. I availed myself of this resource earlier this week to walk the route of the 3rd AK and 27th NC of Manning's brigade took assaulting French's right flank as a part of the fight at the Sunken Road.

I feel the same way. A special shout out to Brian Baracz over there, who has very kindly been answering some of my many dumb questions.

I feel the same way. A special shout out to Brian Baracz over there, who has very kindly been answering some of my many dumb questions.
Amen! Brian is phenomenal as are Keith Snyder and Ted Alexander. All are incredibly knowledgeable and delight in sharing what they know with those who ask. The volunteers are also extremely helpful.

Just a quick, not really on-topic, but irresistible postscript to the story of the 21st at Burnside Bridge:

In his Personal Recollections of the Civil War, Pvt. James Madison Stone, of the 21st, tells (pp.91-2) of that night, after the battle:

“During the evening an incident occurred, the effect of which was to last a long time. It was after we had drank our coffee and had received our ammunition late in the evening. An army nurse asked some of the boys to go with her and assist in getting some wounded men who were near some houses outside our picket line up along the Sharpsburg Road. The boys went, brought in the wounded men and took them to a hospital nearby, no one getting hit, although they did draw the Rebel fire. The work being finished and having been done in so fine a spirit, the nurse wished to know who the men were, and where they came from. Learning they were Massachusetts men and from her own Worcester County, she was quite affected and revealed her own identity — Clara Barton of Oxford. A few moments of friendly handshaking and this first meeting ended, only for a time, however, for later on she visited us at Pleasant Valley and vowed eternal friendship. After the war she became a member of the regimental association, was a regular attendant at the annual reunions and ever declared herself a comrade of the boys of the regiment.”

A bullet went through the sleeve of Clara Barton's dress that night. She never mended the hole, keeping it as a reminder of the risks "her boys" faced every day.

In his diary, Capt. George Washington Whitman (Walt's brother), of the 51st New York, gives his account of the taking of the Burnside Bridge:

"Sept 15th Started about 10 A.M. and march[ed] about 7 miles on the Sharpsburg road towards which the rebs had retreated Sept 16th Artillery fireingsic] in advance, showing that the enemy were going to make another stand Marched about 3 miles and bivouaced[sic] there Enemys[sic] shells flying over us pretty lively

"Sept 17th fell in about 6 Oclock A.M. and waited for orders. The fight had been going [on?] since early in the morning and seemed to be very heavy on the right of us, where Hooker was engaged, about 9 A.M. our Division was ordered to take a bridge which crossed Antietam creek and which w[as] defended by temporar[y] breastworks. The enemy had a very great advantage over us, as the bank on their side of the creek was very high and very steep. Our first Brigade was sent down to make the attack, and our Brigade was ordered to support them, but the first Brigade did not seem to get along very well, as they rather held back, and did not seem inclined to cross an open field that had to be crossed before they could reach the Bridge and our Brigade was ordered to advance and see what we could do. We advanced on a double quick under heavy fire from the enemy, from which we suffered considerably, passed by the first Brigade, and formed close down to the edge of the creek the 51st Pennsylvania forming just above the bridge and our Regt just below, after fighting here about 2 hours the order was given to charge and away we went, the 51st Penn having just about as far to go as we had, we both reached the bridge and crossed at the same time, as soon as we commenced the [charge?] the enemy commenced to leave. the enemy had a battery posted just up on the hill but when we charged the battery skedaddled and the whole rebel force fell back about ½ a mile where they were protected by stone fences, and here they made another stand

"Our third Brigade had been sent way down to the left to cross the creek and make an attack on the enemys flank but after a splendid charge on a rebel battery they were badly repulsed and fell back in considerable disorder, after we had crossed the bridge and got possession of the heights we formed in a road and waited for orders and as soon as the 3d Brigade was driven back we were ordered to advance we forwarded up to within 500 yards of where the rebels were concealed when we halted and commenced fireing[sic] but as our ammunition had nearly all be expended in the morning at the bridge (and there was not more to be had just at that time) we were soon out of ammunition and had to lay down and let the enemy blaze away at us while we hadent a shot to give them in return. We hunted all around and took all the cartridges out of the boxes of the killed and wounded and then we had to lay quiet the rebels seemed to be very much puzled to why we kept so still they seemed to think we were trying to get them into some kind of a trap, as they did not advance at all but kept up a pretty severe fire which of course we had to lay and take for about an hour when another brigade was sent in to relieve us and we were ordered back to the road where we were protected by a hill and after getting a fresh suply[sic] of ammunition we lay down and slept untill morning. Sept 18th Slight Skirmishing going on all day, but we were not called on although we lay in line of battle and ready to advance at any moment if we had been called on. About 4 P.M. another Brigade came across the bridge and relieved us, and we fell back across the creek and bivouaced. The loss of our Regt. in this battle (of Antietam) was about 100 men killed and wounded." [http://whitmanarchive.org/biography/correspondence/tei/loc.00487.html]

John Hoptak at Gettysburg (formerly of Antietam) gave a really good talk on Burnside and his bridge yesterday.

What I really like about the map posted is that it is topographical - you can see how high the bluff is that the bridge leads into. That being said, there is still nothing like seeing the place for yourself. I've had so many visitors come there for the first time and say they finally get it. They had been reading Kyd Douglas's words (and those who came after who followed Douglas's thinking) and didn't understand why the Union didn't just wade the creek. They see the Confederate position and they see the bridge and the creek and they finally get it.

It's one of the most important CW spots to see, just because you don't get it otherwise.

Some years ago I had the good fortune to see first hand just how difficult the Antietam is to wade.
I was hiking with Brian Baracz who had donned full Union uniform and gear for the occasion. He was quite mysterious about the uniform and gear when we set out.
At the bridge, Brian proceeded to attempt to wade the creek in full regalia. He got bogged down trying to ascend the slippery bank on the Georgian's side of the creek. He made it but with great difficulty. Had the Georgian's been their it would have been a bad day for Brian.
Rob9641 is absolutely correct. Until you see the ground it is impossible to understand how a couple hundred soldiers could hold off the IX Corps all morning.

The accounts in regimental histories are frequently from participants, or at least put together from the recollections of numerous interviewed eyewitnesses.

One man's first-hand account, of course, can only tell what he personally witnessed, and what he believed (i.e. was told) was the cause and result of what he witnessed. He may or may not really know or understand what was happening in any other part of the field, or even a few hundred feet away. These accounts are very valuable for what they are, but much more is needed to get the full picture. It's like the five blind men asked to describe an elephant: one feels the trunk, one feels a leg, one an ear, another the broad side and the last the tail... The description each gives may be accurate, but none describes what an elephant looks like.

EDIT: Apologies! I had intended to post this for another thread, but somehow I got it on this one! No idea how that happened (I wasn't paying proper attention, obviously). Not germane to the topic, but, here it is!

Last edited:
It's one of the most important CW spots to see, just because you don't get it otherwise.

This really happened to me too. I'd read about the bridge, seen the paintings and pictures. But until you stand on the bluffs looking down upon the bridge, only then does the whole thing make sense. Which illustrates how important it is to visit these battlefields

This really happened to me too. I'd read about the bridge, seen the paintings and pictures. But until you stand on the bluffs looking down upon the bridge, only then does the whole thing make sense. Which illustrates how important it is to visit these battlefields

I don't know whether a personal visit makes the "whole thing make sense," but it had a powerful emotional impact on me. The fact that the bridge site is so pristine gives it a certain power...

Back