Surprise Ancestors

28thNewYork

First Sergeant
Silver Patron
My wife is the genealogist and historian for both her father's and mother's families. She was recently seeking more information on her mother's side of the family and I joined her in the search, convinced that I would find more Civil War ancestors (we had previously searched her father's side and found two).

Well, we didn't find any more.

What we did find was a War of 1812 veteran, an ancestor who died in a Revolutionary War battle in 1776, and further ancestors dating back to 1460 in England, whose descendants moved respectively to Scotland, New York City , North Carolina, and Georgia.

I'll still keep looking among the cousins, uncles, siblings, etc., but I think the ACW folks have been mostly spoken for.

Last edited:
My wife is the genealogist and historian for both her father's and mother's families. She was recently seeking more information on her mother's side of the family and I joined her in the search, convinced that I would find more Civil War ancestors (we had previously searched her father's side and found two).

Well, we didn't find any more.

What we did find was a War of 1812 veteran, an ancestor who died in a Revolutionary War battle in 1776, and further ancestors dating back to 1460 in England, whose descendants moved respectively to Scotland, New York City , North Carolina, and Georgia.

I'll still keep looking among the cousins, uncles, siblings, etc., but I think the ACW folks have been mostly spoken for.
That was still a great find. Enough incentive to keep you searching! Good Luck!

Fold3 has records for War of 1812 and the American Revolution.
There are so many sources out there that Google won't even connect with. I was surprised to see what comes up when I string a lot of related words together on the "voice" activated Google. Try it, you'll get some interesting results.

Back