Strange 1840-1860 with Sword Thumb grip

This isn't the first and will certainly not be that last, Remember the guy with the CDV's from Decatur Alabama that got all our help and then when he sold the buyer backed out after finding out they had been posted here.

@cannonball222 they way you went about getting our expertise was not right and you should have either A. DONE YOUR OWN RESEARCH or at least said you were planning on selling it. If you have to fed and cloth your poor children from the sell of this sword then they are more then likely bare-foot and hungry.

I brought this sword to the table to “talk” This sword provided insight to me and the “CivilWarTalk” forum.
Somewhere in this discussion, you believe that because I am selling this sword you have been cheated in someway. I sell swords because I cannot afford to keep them. (I wish I could keep every sword I have purchased for this is my passion) My path led me to this forum because of the expertise that exists here. I appreciate the fact that this forum does exist and its members have such knowledge. A knowledge they are willing to disseminate Free of charge. What I chose to do with the information that has been provided to me is my right. I have NOT obtained this knowledge under any false pretense. You seem to have a preconceived notion that because I will sell this sword I have in some way “done you or the forum wrong” I believe that is your personal issue and does not in any way reflect my intentions. How YOU have perceived my intentions I cannot imagine as it appears your moral compass is a tad askew in my opinion.

Regarding my family, as I have brought them into this discussion, every penny I receive in profit goes to them and to buy more swords.
I believe that it is my job to put vintage swords into the hands of those who can afford and appreciate them. I have liberated some very rare swords from attics, dumpsters, and basements and now they are enjoyed by collectors who respect and honor them. In the process, I have been educated and freely give my knowledge to others.
This sword was completely unknown to me and I had done extensive research and as you have read “may” be the only example known to exist”.

Many people who have read this post including myself have learned from this sword. Do you truly wish to deny those the education which this knowledge provides? The “CivilWarTalk” forum exists so that the many who love the Civil War have a place to gather united, together with a love and respect for the soldiers who fought and died. Americans, brothers just like you and I, but they were caught in a life and death struggle known as the Civil War.

Last edited:
This sword, Mexican or not, couldn't have been that rare. I own one similar to this, myself. It has the thumb guard, although if the hilt was once wrapped in leather, it is well worn away by now, revealing the naked wood underneath. It was a gift from my mother since I collect swords myself. I wouldn't think about selling it, though. If it was Mexican in origin, I would assume they were mass produced this way. The only number I could even detect on it was a VERY faint edging on the scabbard, although it does have the telltale incisions for a belt or waist strap to run through. The blade itself is dull and seems clipped at the end, with a rather burnished coating. It is also dull as Hell; not sharp at all.

Last edited:
Back