Stonewall Stonewall born today, what was his greatest moment?

Happy birthday, Old Jack!

Jackson didn't have a command yet, but one of his best moments was when he went from Tom Fool to Major Jackson with the cadets of VMI. When the war was just boiling over its kettle, some cadets got fanatic and the supervisor had to corral them - he asked Jackson to speak to them, settle them down. He did. "Military men make short speeches, and as for myself I am no hand at speaking anyhow. The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon; and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard!" His intensity surprised the cadets into stunned silence - who knew!

Happy birthday, Old Jack!

Jackson didn't have a command yet, but one of his best moments was when he went from Tom Fool to Major Jackson with the cadets of VMI. When the war was just boiling over its kettle, some cadets got fanatic and the supervisor had to corral them - he asked Jackson to speak to them, settle them down. He did. "Military men make short speeches, and as for myself I am no hand at speaking anyhow. The time for war has not yet come, but it will come and that soon; and when it does come, my advice is to draw the sword and throw away the scabbard!" His intensity surprised the cadets into stunned silence - who knew!

An amazing speech, nice and short :smile: He has always been one of my favorite commanders, even before he had a command! :wink:

Happy birthday, General Jackson!

Some favorite words from Jackson, written or otherwise:
"My dear pastor, in my tent last night, after a fatiguing day's service, I remembered that I failed to send a contribution for our colored Sunday school. Enclosed you will find a check for that object, which please acknowledge at your earliest convenience and oblige yours faithfully."

"Nothing justifies profanity."

"Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees."

I like this speech for the way Stephen Lang performs it in Gods and Generals:
"In the Army of the Shenandoah, you were the First Brigade! In the Army of the Potomac you were the First Brigade! In the Second Corps of this Army, you are the First Brigade! You are the First Brigade in the affections of your general, and I hope by your future deeds and bearing you will be handed down the posterity as the First Brigade in this our Second War of Independence. Farewell!"

The Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1862.

Simply HDR_1453397322538.jpg

I've always enjoyed that story of when Jackson woke up d h hill at two in the morning complaining of certain symptoms with hill coming to the conclusion that Jackson was in love

"Harvey, every time I try to study the Bible, her face floats in front of me! Am I sick?" :laugh: Good thing Hill gave him the correct diagnosis - he would never have figured it out on his own!

A bit controversial this may be but getting killed before the Confederacy in the shape of the ANV got ground down by Grant and Meade. Amazing what not be associated with 'failure' (he had his not so great moments as well) does for the reputation of a dead military and folk law hero.

Seriously his best moment 1st Manassas where he and his troops earned his legendary nick name and ensured that the ANV was not defeated.

Last edited:
Jackson's greatest moment, though not as a commander, was establishing the Sunday School for blacks in Lexington.

His greatest moment as a commander would be the attack on the 11th Corps at Chancellorsville, followed by his outstanding timing in getting killed at the height of his career.

Back